2: ᴄʟᴏsᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴅɢᴇ

■Trigger Warning■
□I do NOT condone suicide. If you are in crisis, please know that someone cares about you and please call the national suicide hotline: 1800.273.8255 stay safe and alive, frens 💖□

Daria stares at me with an open mouth

I'm pretty sure a fly flew in and out, during this time.

"Daria? Hey, are you okay?"

She still doesn't answer, but her eyes are on my stomach.

I'm worried about her, but hey, I'm still hungry so I continue to eat while I wait for her to digest everything.

"Ellie." After about 15 minutes, she says my name.

"Yes?"

"Are you really pregnant?"

I haven't been to a doctor to confirm, but the way my body is steadily changing, I know that I am.

"Yes, I am."

Another moment of silence. Then,

"OHMYGOD! OHMYGODOHMYGODOOOOHHHMMYYYGOOODDDD!!!"

Startled, I nearly drop my food, but Daria has forgotten all about hers. She rounds the picnic table and tackles me into a hug.

I can't help but laugh as she excitedly talks about becoming an aunt, how she's going to spoil them, and how she'll babysit for free.

I knew telling her would make her happy and I admit that some of my own darkness has been chipped away.

When she finally lets me go, she asks me the one question that I've been avoiding.

"Have you been to the doctor yet?"

My first instinct is to play dumb. "What?"

Daria's eyes narrow slightly. "I'll take that as a no."

"I mean, it's fine because I will eventually." My answer sounds meek to my own ears.

She just nods at me suspiciously. "Alright Ellie."

She goes back over to her side and continues to eat. The atmosphere is still light, despite the doctor thing.

"Does anyone else know?"

"Just Liam." I don't want to go into the details of that day, so I don't say anything further.