I'm greeted by a man with a broken nose.

"I'm just gonna set it back into place, this will hurt," I softly say, letting him grip the bed covers before I place my hands on his nose.

I fake a count down.

"One.."

I'm quick to push his nose back into place, grabbing multiple tissues to stop the blood from getting everywhere.

"Bastard!" He grits out

"Lean forward, breathe through your mouth," I instruct him, aiding him in doing so. After a couple minutes and multiple tissues the bleeding stops.

"Cold compress," a nurse I can't remember says, passing it to me.

"Thank you," I smile, placing it on the man's nose as gently as possible.

"You'll need to keep a cold compress on your nose for 15 minutes, four times a day, to reduce pain and swelling," I softly say as I urge him to hold it on.

"Will I be able to work?" He asks.

"You can't play sports and definitely no fights, I'd suggest taking it easy for the next few days but if you must work you may," I say, smiling.

"Thank you.."

"Evelyn."

"Thank you Evelyn," he smiles as I leave for the nurse that needed help, to take over.

"It's no problem," I say just before I exit, only to get rushed off to another patient.

***

"Come to the Garrison with us! I heard there's a  barmaid! I wanna see how she is handling it!" Jane; the gossip of the town (who also happens to be my best friend), gushes.

"I'm really tired Jane," I sigh.

"Nonsense! One drink will do you good! Not many of the nurses that went came back! You got lucky! Have a drink to celebrate," she urges me to go as we pull our coats on.

"Fine," I sigh, wishing I died than came back home to an empty house.

"Apparently the IRA have come down to investigate something, my bet is that it has to do with the Peaky Blinders," she begins her gossip.

I nod, not one to talk about the Peaky Blinders in fear of getting blinded, due to all the stories my father used to tell me.

"Do you think Harry will be in?" She asks as we near the Garrison.

"Well he does own it, so probably," I giggle, following her inside.

"You the new barmaid?" Jane asks the pretty blonde woman behind the bar.

State the obvious why don't you.

"I am, what would you like?" Her Irish accent rolls off her tongue.

"Gin for me," Jade says, keeping an eye on her.
"And for you?" She asks me.
"Whiskey please," I politely say, getting my purse out.