CHAPTER XIV

"I'm telling you, it's alright." 

Sam pulled me to a small clothes shop named Unique. It was just through the alley at the right of the Supermart. The small place had really warm ambiance and I'm not sure if it was because of the bakery right beside it. Colors of yellow, brown and gray filled the room. I could tell that the shop was old since almost every step resulted to a creak of the wooden floor. Despite that, the shop was clean and had enough space for both people and the clothes. An equally warm person named Paige greeted us when we entered her shop. 

"Everyone seems to use their money on me." I frowned, remembering Ramona's card used for my groceries. I tugged on Sam's warm hand, who led me to a rack of coats. 

"Oh, sorry." He let go of my hand and began looking at he coats. I don't mind.  

"How do you earn money?" I asked, looking at a dark simple coat he presented me. It was sleek and pretty, but looked awfully expensive. "That looks really expensive, Sam." I sighed, embarrassed knowing that I could not pay for it.

"Don't worry about paying, Alina." He placed the coat on a stool nearby. "I want to do it for you, I'm not asking for anything in return." He smiled lightly, making my heart race a bit. Why did he always look so handsome?

"But it's so unfair to you," I frowned at him as he proceeded to look at the thick hoodies. "I feel like a burden to everyone." It was true, I do not want anyone doing anything for me if I could not do the same to them. Sam looked at me and sighed. He did not seem to be tired of my nagging, he looked rather amused at me.

"Fine," Sam grabbed my hand gently. "I'm doing this because you calmed me down yesterday." It felt like he stopped time for a minute. "And, I'm paying for holding your hand right now without your permission." His eyes fleeted to our hands and caressed my skin with his thumb. I did not even notice that I held my breath. "So we're even."

"I don't mind," I started as he looked into my eyes. "If it helps you, you can hold my hand anytime." I watched as his face broke into a smile. "You do not have to pay for it." I held his hand back just as tightly as he did to mine. 

"You're surprisingly stubborn." He smiled even wider, clearly amused. I thought about it and he was right. I was not usually this stubborn, but it just felt wrong when I'm given things I did not pay for. I frowned at his amusement. 

"At least tell me how I can really pay for them." I pleaded with a small pout. Sam stared at me longer than necessary, making me incline my head to the right. "What is it?" He shook his head and ignored my question, sifting through the hoodies with his free hand.

"What's your favorite color?" He asked, refusing to look at me. 

"Green." Like your eyes. I wanted him to look at me, yet I felt embarrassed after what I had just thought. Though, I had always been attracted to the dark green forest that I see everyday outside the window. The first time I saw his eyes, it changed just a tad bit. I pointed to a sea green jacket, which he held up to see me with it.

"It suits your eyes." He smiled and sifted through the sweaters. No, it suits yours. 

"I don't really need that many, Sam." I bit my lip, feeling much more embarrassed as the seconds pass. He laced his fingers through mine, giving my stomach a flurry. Why does it tingle so much? 

"I'll buy you three different kinds," He tugged me lightly to his side. "Just so you can have your pick." He said just as I was about to decline. He held up a light blue sweater, nearly white. "Tell me if anything does not suit your taste." He dropped the sweater on top of the black coat and green hoodie.

I shook my head. "They're beautiful." I ran may hand on the clothes. 

"Don't look so unimpressed then." Sam lightly lifted my chin so I would look at his face. I could feel his breath on my forehead. He smelled like vanilla. My breath hitched at his close proximity and at his smile that seemed so boyish. It's a new kind of smile I see on him because even his usual smiles looked serious.

"Well, aren't you two a lovely couple!" A cheerful loud voice boomed as a man with black hair and snake-like eyes on his handsome face entered, ringing the small bell on the door. He had a strange accent, seemingly sophisticated. "I was just gone for a couple of days..." I could not hear what he mumbled afterwards. He sighed, dramatically wiping his forehead, showing frustration.

He was nearly as tall as Sam. He had white pale skin, contrasting to his slick black hair. He had multiple earrings, even a chain connecting two of them on one ear. It matched his suit that had a chain from one pocket to the other. I could see a tattoo on the left side of his neck, since his dress shirt had two opened buttons. 

My breath hitched in shock as he opened his eyes, staring directly at me. His eyes looked so different from the others. It looked like it had a life of its own, swirling as if they were dancing. His pupils were not like mine, they were vertical slits. His mouth twitched up into a sly smile and gracefully stepped towards us.

Sam stiffened as their auras collided. Just like that, it seemed like a battle between them. The man's aura easily matched up with Sam's. The man offered his hand to me, his eyes amused but his aura vexed. His facial features perfectly covered his emotions. 

"My lady." He bowed slightly. I placed my free hand on his, feeling confused yet still sure of my courtesy. "Adonis." He lifted my hand to his lips, planting a lingering kiss as he stared into my eyes.

I felt Sam's aura pulse and Adonis laughed loudly at Sam's reaction. I looked at Sam, who looked like he was about to scream at Adonis. I wondered why he looked at Adonis like that. It was nothing but common courtesy, after all.

"Alina Imenand." I returned my eyes to Adonis, who still held that sly smile. "It is nice to meet you." I smiled, feeling strange. There was something vaguely familiar about him, especially his eyes. It was as if I always saw it, but I could not remember any instance of it.

"Oh I know, darling." Adonis winked at me. Knew what? I only smiled as respect to Sam who seemed angrier at Adonis' actions. I lightly tugged on his hand, making him look at me. His hard eyes softened as I sent him a small smile.

"Do you know him?" I asked softly. He did not answer for a long time, just staring at my face. I did not mind, I was staring at him back anyways.

"He visits this area from time to time." Sam spoke, his eyes fleeting to Adonis who looked highly amused. "My parents are well acquainted with him." 

"I'm well acquainted with you as well, Sam." Adonis smirked and Sam looked like he was about to flare up. Adonis did not look like he was in our age. He seems mature, yet young at the same time. I wondered why Sam looked so irked at Adonis, who seemed rather respectful and charming. Maybe it is because he is eccentric? 

"I have to take you home, Alina." Sam ignored Adonis, making the man smile wider. Sam grabbed the clothes he picked out for me and tugged me towards the counter. Sam paid for the clothes, which were $400 in total. I wondered if that was expensive. 

"Oh, take me with you!" Adonis exclaimed and Sam faced him as soon as he had the bag of clothes. Sam's face hardened and his aura was tainted in more anger. Adonis just smiled innocently.

"You can't go to her house." Sam almost growled out. 

"Oh, but I can." Adonis countered  with a sly smile. "I have always stayed there whenever I visit." He remarked, making me incline my head in confusion. Why is he lying? 

"She did not even know you until now." Sam gritted his teeth, his anger increasing.

"That's because I was hiding from her." Adonis rolled his eyes as if what he had said was the most obvious thing in the world. "Rather, Darnall hid me from her." He lifted his finger in mock realization. 

"You knew my father?" I asked eagerly, tightening my clutch on Sam's hand.

"Don't act like he's dead, honey." He laughed, pulling out an old picture of him, my father, and me as a baby. "I've known you all your life."