CHAPTER XVIII

"You're just telling her everything about the Down World, despite the danger she might go through just because of knowing?"

"She has the right to know, Sam." Adonis sighed, pausing to drink from the glass of wine he just made to appear out of thin air. "More than anyone." He looked pointedly at Sam, who was obviously conflicted about the decision of telling me this Down World they speak of. "And, because of the situation."

At first, Adonis' story confused me. In the books I have read, there was not a mention of vampires, werewolves or warlocks. The words angels and demons occasionally popped out, but it was always regarded as fictional beings by the humans in the books or as representations of good and evil. 

It was all new for me, just like how it was when I first got outside. After just a few weeks of being in the outside world, I get plunged in another world. Let us not forget the fact that I should have stayed hidden, or something would happen to the person I wanted to protect in the first place. Not that I would know who it was.

I cannot even begin what to think, nor what to believe in anymore.

"It is alright, Sam. I wanted to know." I glanced at his troubled face, seeing him reach for my hand that was on top of the table. I let him hold my hand, knowing it would reassure him. I searched his beautiful face, wondering what he really is. "If Adonis is a warlock, then you are?" 

A flicker of hesitation showed in his green eyes.

"A werewolf." Sam said softly, as if he was embarrassed of who he was. I furrowed my eyebrows as he looked at the glass of wine, obviously avoiding to look at me. I squeezed his hand, making him look at me. "And so is everyone inside the school. You're the only one who's different."

From the books that I have read, wolves are very territorial animals. They protect their land and their pack at all costs. No wonder the other students looked like they would kill me. I was a stranger to them, not part of their family, and a threat. However, it was not my worry. "Why are you embarrassed?" 

"Well," He sighed, his jaw tightening. "I thought you would be disgusted if you knew." 

"Why would I?" I felt a little angry at his assumption. I am certain that I would never feel disgusted about him no matter what happened. I know deep inside that I never could.

"I'm a monster." Sam looked like he was in pain, but I did not understand why. There was absolutely nothing about him that would be monstrous. Somehow, I knew that even if he turned into whatever form, I could not hate him. 

"She doesn't even know what werewolves look like." Adonis laughed, rolling his eyes. That much is true, which is why I could not understand why he would think that. 

"Still," Sam glared at Adonis briefly. "If you saw how I could change or what dangers are within me, you'd be scared." He looked down at our hands, looking like he's in pain. 

"Oh, please. The girl's immortal, for hell's sake." Adonis made a sound of exasperation and amusement. "She has seen scarier things than you could possibly look like." He snorted and tipped the wine glass lightly towards me. "You're more of a monster than he could ever be." He winked, leaving us confused.

Now that I think about it, Adonis has not even told me who I am yet. Does that mean there's still more to it? "Why? Who am I exactly?" I asked, Sam turning to listen to Adonis as well. Adonis clicked his tongue, seemingly excited. He placed done the wine and looked intently at me.

"You, my darling," He leaned on the chair, amused and relaxed. He looked like he was waiting for this very moment. I guessed, since he said that my true self was his best friend, he must be thinking that he would finally get his friend back.