CHAPTER XXVIII

"Where are you from, mon chaton?" The vampire king asked, making me look at him. After he made me sit on the chair on his left, he ordered vampires who looked like waiters to get food. As strange as it seemed, I felt grateful because I was already hungry. 

I looked at Adonis, who sat next to me. I have not thought of the name of the place where I'm from, so I could not answer Simon's question. Adonis looked like he did not want to tell Simon about it. "I'm from the house that we came from." I simply answered and Simon looked at me more intensely, wanting more. "I do not know what place it is."

Simon stared at me or a while before turning to Ramiel, who was already kissing the raven-haired vampire. It was the first time I saw such a thing and wondered if Ramiel could taste the blood that the girl had drunk. 

"Ramiel, tell me where you found her." Simon asked, making Ramiel stop placing his lips on the vampire who looked at me with judging eyes. Beside me, I see Adonis snap his fingers under the table. Suddenly, one of the raven strands of the lady was caught on fire. 

"In the Ada--" Ramiel started but the lady he was kissing shrieked, making me flinch at her loudness. Ramiel pushed her away rather harshly with one hand, but then the head of the woman came flying off. Ramiel did not even look at her as her head rolled off the platform and blood began to spill. Adonis quickly covered my eyes, but it was too late. I felt the food I had eaten slowly creep up my stomach, making me feel queasy. I never would have thought that I'd see such a scene in a ball.

"What the hell are you doing in front of Alina, you senile fucker?" Adonis snapped at Ramiel, soothing me by rubbing my shoulder with his free hand. I gripped his arm tightly, wanting to disappear.

"Oh, is the little butterfly afraid of a bit of blood?" Ramiel mocked and I could almost hear the smile from his voice. 

"Clean that up before it stains my carpet." Simon ordered someone, sighing. "Now, now, Ramiel. That's quite rude to do in front of a human lady." He said with a little tone of mock, making me wonder if they commonly did this. I almost regret babbling to him about respect and rudeness. It made my stomach churn even more, but I wanted to show them otherwise.

I softly touched Adonis' hand to indicate that I would be fine, although there's no guarantee of it. He did not move though, he shouted instead. "Aren't you done yet? Stop being useless!" He snapped seemingly at the person taking the dead body, making me frown. Adonis was too agitated.

"Don't be so angry." I told him softly, not getting a reply. I hear Simon chuckle and I could feel his stare on me.

"Where was she from again, Ramiel?" Simon's voice rang and it made me nervous. I had only hoped he wouldn't discover my connection to Sam because it might be a lot of trouble.

"Adalwolf territory." Ramiel answered with a hint of amusement in his voice. 

"Quite interesting, indeed." Simon voiced out. "A mere human not only protected by Adonis the warlock, but also the Adalwolf? What is so important about you, mon chaton?" He asked, but I did not know what to answer. 

"We're staying there because I made a deal with those wolves." Adonis interjected, saving me from explaining possible lies I would have thought of. I was not fond of lying, but I knew it would be troublesome to stick to that for now.

Adonis snapped his fingers, most probably to make the clean-up of the blood faster. He muttered things under his breath that I couldn't understand before sitting back on his seat, glaring at the smug-looking Ramiel. 

"Adonis!" A shrill voice of a woman shouted over the noise of the ball. It was a woman with bright red hair, matched with her dark red dress that hugged her curves in a very flattering way. Her red lips formed into a smile as she approached Adonis, placing a big kiss on his lips which made Adonis look at her in horror even more. "Why didn't you call me?" She said in a whiney voice and it made me dislike her despite her closeness to Adonis.