CHAPTER II

Her father gave her one last hug before picking up his bags. His daughter knew he doesn't pack much when he goes to his trips, but it seemed that he needed to bring in a lot of paperwork. He wondered why his daughter did not ask him where he went for days, but it was probably better for her that way.

She smiled at him as he let her go. He pat her head lightly. "I will be back soon, pumpkin. Take care of yourself, yeah?" The girl nodded and his father went to open his car. It creaked a bit as he placed the heavy bags into the trunk. With a loud thud, he shut the trunk close and glanced back to his daughter.

"Take care, father." She called out to him with a kind smile. He waved her goodbye before he got into his car with another loud thud. He straightened up himself and dusted off his shirt. It was as if he left the car untouched for such a long time that dust started to settle in. It had been only two days since he last drove it.

After checking the gas tank, the windows, the locks and his pockets for the car keys, he gave one last wave to his daughter. The car revved up as he turned the keys into its hole. There was a bit of a noise before its machine settled into a low hum. Her father drove off, leaving her waving him goodbye at the doorstep.

The wind blew softly around her, causing the trees to hum. If she hasn't lived there her whole life, she would have thought there was a person in the woods humming a calm tune. A soft glow came from the west as the sun sets. She let the light hit her left side, loving how warm it is.

She stood there, staring at the trail her father followed. She waited for a few more minutes to see if her father returns. Maybe he left something, she thought. When the surroundings were getting darker and the sun had set, she slowly went back inside her home. She couldn't shake off the small frown etched on her face. Of course her father would not return for something he forgot. After all, he always packed his things perfectly.

After fixing things up in the study where they have been before her father went on to his trip, she rested by the open window. The cold night breeze blew her soft hair lightly, the moonlight enhancing her fair skin. For reasons unknown, she always felt drawn to the moon. She felt as if such a thing would speak to her, so she subconsciously waited for it to speak.

She found the moonlight warm and comforting at first. However, sometimes she feels as if it was calling for her. Not particularly towards the moon itself, but into the darkness and the dark side of the moon. She thought it made no sense, that such an inanimate object would actually call out for her.

Sighing, she finally closed the windows and covered it with its curtain. With one last look at the bright full moon, she walked away from the window. Her skin immediately felt like it missed the cold breeze and the moonlight.

For the three days she had been alone in her home, she could only do the things she usually did. She cleaned every room there is. As usual, she was not able to clean the entire mansion for only a day, but three days were enough for it. She made sure nothing was out of its place. She cooked for her own meals, cleaning after herself for every meal. Everything she touches, she returns back to its organized place. When she wasn't cleaning nor cooking, she read books. It would normally take her only two nights to finish a whole novel. She had a lot of time in her hands.

At the third night of being alone, it stormed out. The winds were blowing furiously, sometimes as if it wanted to slam the windows open. The wind along with the trees were screaming. Outside, she had seen lightning hit a tree and burn it for a while. It was great that the rain stopped the fire, otherwise the trees all around would have caught fire as well. As if that wasn't enough though, thunder constantly came and it was excruciatingly loud.

She couldn't help but worry about her father instead of getting scared of the storm. No wonder her father had not come back yet, she thought. Out of all the trips her father had gone to, this was the only one he didn't come home in time. She had always known her father followed his time.