CHAPTER III

"You know my father?" Alina asked the woman. No wonder she knew about the house, Alina thought. She watched Ramona as she took another sip of the coffee.

"Your father and I met just a few days ago." Ramona informed her and Alina was confused. Why would her father tell a woman he just met about his daughter, whom he kept in secret?

Alina always knew her father kept her from everyone else. The house had not received a visitor until today and her father is not even here. She knew her father works in a company, which meant he encountered other people constantly. However, not once did he tell about his daughter about their names or what they were like.

As if recovering from the shock, Alina asked, "Do you know where my father is?" She saw a flash of sadness in Ramona's eyes. Even her strong aura got mixed with sorrow.  Just as quick as it was there, the sorrow in her eyes disappeared. Alina, however, still noticed the tinge of sadness marked on her aura. It was obvious for her that Ramona wanted to cover it up. Alina suddenly felt admiration for her.

"Darnall asked me to take care of you while he's away." Ramona watched as Alina's face become even worried. She wondered what such a composed girl would do with this information. Ramona knew that the way she said it was like the man had abandoned his daughter.

"Is he alright?" Alina's eyes turned red but she did everything to stop her tears from falling. She did not want the visitor to see her cry.

"What?" Ramona replied, shocked. She had thought the girl would be angry, but instead Alina never doubted her father. She was suddenly curious as to how Darnall raised her. Ramona cleared her throat to regain her composure. "He's alive."

Alina quietly sucked in a small breath and relief flashed through her face. "When will he be returning?" She asked, hoping that Ramona would say that it was only for a few days. Ramona set her cup of coffee on the table.

"I'm not sure." She breathed out and Alina had a small frown on her face. "As proof that your father had sent me," she started rummaging through her small black handbag. She then held a piece of white paper. "He told me to give this. He said you'd recognize his writing immediately." Ramona handed her the paper.

Alina was nervous, her hand was shaking a bit as she held the paper. She bit her lip and opened the letter. It was definitely her father's writing, she was sure. She always sneaked around his table whether he was there or not. Alina loved her father's writing. It was elegant, with every letter written in perfection. The spacing were always the same and the curves always as deep as they should. She especially loved the way her father signed his name. It was always so beautiful, it looked like it was taken from a book.

    My dearest Alina,

    I might not be there as you read this letter. I want you to know that I sent Miss Ramona Shaw for you. Trust her, she will take care of you. Do not doubt, for I will return as soon as I can. Miss Ramona had told me she is a principal of the nearest school there. I told her to get you in. I figured it might be time for you to go out and experience what I took from you as a child. She will be able to watch over you there, as she is a busy woman. Behave well, pumpkin.

     Love, your father
     Darnall Imenand

Alina frown at her father's words. "What does he mean there is a school nearby?" She asked Ramona who smiled softly at her.

"It is about two miles away from here, so you would need a car to go there every weekday. It's too dangerous to walk." Ramona answered and Alina's face scrunched up in confusion. She thought of how she never saw a single being in the forest. Now that she thought about it, there were birds singing the forest. Birds! Her thoughts screamed. There were never birds in the forest. She has never even heard of a bird singing.