CHAPTER XI

"What were you doing late in school, Alina?" Sam asked slowly as he started my car. The gentle hum from it mimicked the whispers of the woods. It made me remember what I did even clearer now. I couldn't help but feel embarrassed at the memory, although I didn't know why I was. 

Maybe it was because his face was so close that I forgot to breathe for a moment? I was not used to anyone being physically close. Is it because I felt giddy at that moment? As though I liked it. I wonder if getting physically close to other people makes one happier as friends. Could it be because I touched his face without permission?  The last thought was most likely the reason and it made my blood rush up to my cheeks. It feels like my head is about to explode with all the heat rushing to it.

"Are you alright?" I could hear his worry as he probably sensed my discomfort. I shifted in my seat as Sam drove through the woods. It's so strange how the sun seemed to set faster as the rays of light was replaced with darkness. In contrast, the drive seemed to be too long. Almost as if I was in another world with the man beside me. 

"I am fine." I softly replied after noticing how much my thoughts had consumed me. I wanted to distract myself, but I didn't want to be rude. "You did not have to drive me home, Sam." I told him, feeling embarrassed yet again. First, I touched him without permission and now he is wasting energy to take me home just because I didn't go home early as I should have. 

I did not even notice that I took so long, considering that I had only listened to the lovely tune from the theater room. 

"The woods are dangerous at night." He explained, glancing at me briefly with an unusual look. I could tell he was uneasy, as if he did not want me to see how Elaine seemed to be obsessed over him. I wondered if it was something that he thinks I worry about. There is no reason that I would get anxious over it and he needed to know that.

"Is it not dangerous for you as well to go home alone?" I asked, worried as I remembered he did not have his own car with him. He sent me a soft smile that made me stare at him. How is he like a painting beneath the moonlight?

"Don't worry, Alina. I'll make sure to arrive home safely to ease your worry." 

"Thank you, Sam." I smiled, noticing his aura still tinged with uneasiness. "It's my turn to soothe your uneasiness." That made him look at me with little shock. He immediately composed himself and cleared his throat. 

"Your touch had already calmed me down." He said so quietly as if he was embarrassed as well. 

"I apologize for touching you without permission, Sam." I looked down on my hands and I felt his aura pulse a little. 

"You don't have to apologize, Alina." He sounded worried about my reply. "It's fine for you to touch me whenever you want."  He whispered something incoherently after that. "It was something that I needed."

I wondered if he needed someone to touch him when something bothers him. Can anyone do it? It didn't seem like anyone would touch him except Amon and Elaine. Everyone usually avoids Sam and even gives him small bows when he passes through. 

"Do people always appreciate being touched?" I asked out of curiosity and he suddenly tensed up. 

"No." He coughed out, his grip tightening on the wheel. I slowly reached out to the hand and softly placed mine over his. I can feel his warmth dominating mine. His aura suddenly pulsed and for some reason his knuckle turned even whiter. I flinched away at the reaction, worried that I was rude once again. 

He pressed on the breaks, holding his own hand as if to stop himself. He tightly closed his eyes as I notice him trying to calm his breathing. "I'm sorry." I whispered, feeling embarrassed and awkward. I looked away, noticing that we were already in front of the trail towards home.