Part Thirty-Five

Beginne am Anfang

Mari held her shoulders. "What time is it?" Mari asked, wanting to hold Bella again; her hands felt empty without the small child.

Marie looked at a clock. "Well, it's-"

Marie was cut off by the curtain next to her sliding open and the metal rings scraping the long pole that held them up. "We have forty minutes to get to class." Amme said and Mari flinched at her appearance. The bandages were mostly gone, save a few on her arms and one of her cheek. Her hair was flowing around her and she was dressed all in white, her red eyes standing out like fire in the dead of night. They were burning with some sort of hatred and Mari looked down at floor.

A boy was suddenly behind Amme, his short black hair matching his black t-shirt. He held two bags, handing one to Amme. "You should probably get ready, Mari." He said, his eyes red, too, flashing as they met Mari's black ones.

Mari tucked her knees up to her chest and nodded, wondering for a moment why the boy knew her name, then she realized that he must be Amme's new weapon. "Th-thanks..." Mari said. The two left, nodding to Ms. Marie. Mari flinched as she heard a door slammed. She stood. "I should get ready." She said.

Marie looked at her, her mouth tight with worry. "Okay. I don't think we have clothing for you..."

"That's okay. Just, don't get mad." Mari turned and focused on something on the wall. She closed her eyes and thought about her appearance. Something warm passed over her and she opened her eyes, looking down at black clothing and shoes. She adjusted her leather jacket and looked at Marie's surprised look.

"Mari... you shouldn't..." Marie began until she saw Mari's eyes, broken. "Was it... Amme?" Mari nodded and put a hand to her neck when she felt a slice of pain. "Mari!" Marie said, moving and pulling her hand away from her neck to show the little drops of black blood that had fallen from her. She let go of Mari's hand as the cut closed and disappeared.

"Whenever I use it, I always feel some kind of pain." Mari said, turning her back. "That must be it."

"Then you shouldn't use it." Marie said.

"They already know I'm a witch, Ms. Marie. So it only makes sense if I use it." Mari said.

"All witches have an animal that represents their power..." Marie said. "What's yours?"

Mari shrugged. "I don't know." She opened the infirmary door and walked out, slamming it behind her. She looked up, seeing a big clock on the wall in front of her. It read, 6:34am, and Mari sighed. "I have a little time then." She said. She decided to walk to the classroom, hoping no one would see her.

Her boots echoed through the hallway as she walked. She looked around, recognizing things. She turned down a hallway and saw the Crescent Moon door. She walked to it, pulling it open to find it empty. She walked inside and found a seat in the back corner.

She put her head down. "What have I become?" she asked herself. There was silence and she knew that it had always been there. "What are people going to do to me?" she said, playing with a strand of her hair. "They're going to kill me, aren't they." She looked up at the sealing, wooden beams holding up the roof. "Is Amme going to ever forgive me?"

The door opened and Mari looked down to the center of the room as Stein stepped in. He looked up at her. "I felt you use your magic, Mari. You can't-"

Mari looked into his eyes, her black ones hard. "As long as I'm not killing people, I don't care anymore." She said, clenching her fist.

"If you're going to act like this, I will expel you, forever." He said and she calmed down.

"Yes... Professor." She said.