Halloween Special

Phil took a peak behind his back as sweat trickled down the side of his face, his breath unlabored and heavy. The sound of dried leaves crushing under his footsteps were giving him away. He needs to get out of here!

Phil sucked his breath and clamped a hand over his mouth as he sensed them close.

"Where is that damn boy?!"

"I think we lost him, sir."

"Buffoons! We need to catch him!" the male fumed at his men. He turned to himself and nervously muttered, "Before they'll have my head."

The rustling footsteps drew farther and he waited with bathed breath. When he can no longer hear them, he let out a shaky sigh as his back slid down the tree he used as support.

He threw his head back, staring at the sky who barely peaked past the thick canopy of the forest, painted in gradient of purple and red as stars were already evident against the dark surrounding—twilight. The time for the non-living.

He closed his eyes, feeling the after effects of the rushed adrenaline. He can feel his heart pounding against his chest and the heat all over his body from the strenuous activity. The gush of cool wind against his sweaty skin covered in muck had him close his eyes and relished the temporary tranquility, a thing that was hard to come by.

"Boo."

His eyes shot open and stared wide-eyed at the figure staring back at him with a grin. He instantly scampered to his feet and bolted, but even before he could get that far, he was tackled to the ground.

"Run. And never show your face to me, or I'll rip your throat out!"

His brother's words echoed, the image of him flashed behind his eyelids. People in black hoods were running up to them as he felt his brother's hand harshly pushed him off the cliff.

"Martial!"

Air was forced out of his lungs as he plunged towards the raging waves below, momentarily stunned.

"Got him!" the man behind him yelled towards the others at the distance.

Phil squirmed under his grip and found an opening, jabbing his elbow to his chin before the male could focus his attention. The man tumbled back and he ran without never looking back, deeper into the woods, towards the center of the mystic place shrouded in darkness.

He propped his hands against his knees, panting heavily as he wiped the bead of sweat under his  chin. He fixed his gaze up the daunting mansion in the middle of nowhere. Voices from afar were constantly giving orders, infuriated that he keeps slipping away.

If he knew any better, it said that there was a vampire residing here. If he somehow managed to let the person let him stay temporarily, then it's a great deal.

He already dealt with worse things anyway.

Trudging carefully up the stairs, he stared intently at the door, feeling an intense gaze poking at the back of his head which had his hair standing on its ends. He pushed the door carefully, the creak reverberated in the huge dim entrance and a chill ran down his spine. He looked back, the sound of voices trailing him vanished that only his breathing can be heard.

Swallowing his doubt, he took a courageous step inside. It is to live or to die. He chose to live, by bargaining with which could possibly be death all along.

~~

He explored the mansion. And it felt like it's a lot bigger compared to his initial thought. However, the owner hasn't showed himself, despite a stranger wandering in his territory.