Chapter 22

She jolted upright. A headache had her pinching the bridge of her nose.

If she doesn't return, it would happen, undoubtedly.

Her feet dangled beside the bed, reaching for her fluffy slippers as she balanced herself, standing. The pain doesn't seem to go away.

Her hair, untamed and throat dry. She wants water. She needs water.

Slowly sipping her cup, a knock was heard on the door. She placed the glass down in the sink, responding, "Come in."

The door opened, revealing the Russian. The bowl in his hands caught her eyes and she looked up at him questioningly.

"I've brought soup."

She can see that.

"You threw up a while ago."

Reminded of the scene, she blushed in embarrassment and averted his eyes, muttering a small "thank you".

He really shouldn't have. He shouldn't have wasted his time on her.

"You should eat it while it's hot."

That is when she realized she was lost in thought, gawking at him. The bowl was already placed on top of the table, waiting for her with the male sitting on the other chair.

Her mind instantly flashed with the bits of memories from her reminiscence a while ago. With wide eyes, she shook her head which had the Russian stare at her oddness.

No. She needs to return. Immediately.

"I had to go..."

Although Del told her to leave it to her brothers, but it seems like she can't. It's not particularly about trust... no.

"Go where?"

"Home..." she mumbled.

She doesn't know what she'll do once the mass found out that Martial will be taking over temporarily. There'd be a backlash for certain. But the worst-case scenario is... he'd be banned from the country.

It almost happened once. They wouldn't forget... people wouldn't forget those morbid memories painstakingly carved within them by a bloody knife. Wretched, horrible.

She can't have him gone. She needs him, they need him. The country needs him. As much as people doesn't want to admit it and to those who can't see.

He— he is something Del and her couldn't achieve to be. And what he has, for whatever left in this country they desperately needed it.

"No. Stay."

She looked up, perplexed and shocked. She didn't expect him to oppose, nor was he in the power to do so, but he did.

"But-!"

He took steps near her. "Stay."

What? She can't believe what she's hearing right now.

"I need to go-!"

"You're on vacation."

"But there are things needed to be-!"

"You won't be able to."

Phili's mouth was left agape. At this point, she doesn't know where this disagreement was coming from, nor where it was heading. But hearing it coming from his own lips struck in her deeply.

Won't be able to...

She wasn't capable enough.

Her glassy eyes glimmered layered by a thin sheet of tears. She fought hard to kept it at bay.

Show no weakness.

Was she that seen as pathetic?

Wet salty droplets gathered at the edge of her eyelids, streaming down past her cheeks.

Damn emotions. Why does it have to sabotage her?

"No, no! Ah, blyat, that's not what I meant." Russia panicked, waving his hands frantically, trying to calm her down. "Ah, fuck, I cussed. Fuck, I did it again." He threw his head backwards, letting out a groan. "Save me."

Phili stared at him, eyes wide open. Her tears stopped as she looked at him, observingly. Russia instantly took note of this.

"You're strange..." she mumbled.

"Thanks. You too."

What? The same question ran through their head. Russia's eyes widened as realization dawned on him.

What the heck was he saying?

A blush spread across his cheeks from embarrassment and he looked away as he covered his mouth.

Russia, why in the name of mother pangea did you reply that?

He closed his eyes, clicking his tongue in annoyance at his own stupidity. Until he heard a soft giggle from the female.

He looked at her. She actually stopped crying. He was able to breathe out a sigh of relief.

"What I mean is..." He gave her a small smile, placing his hand on her shoulder as if reassuring her. "You're stressed. You won't be able to function properly. So, take it easy."

"But my brother..." she mumbled, groaning softly in frustration.

"Going back with this state will do nothing. So stay. I'm sure your brothers wouldn't bring harm to your nation."

Phili stared at his eyes, the luminescence of his grayish orbs flashing sincerity. After good few seconds, she heaved a sigh and let her body relaxed as she hung her head.

"Okay."

~~

A/n:

The cusses were weighing heavily on my conscience. Phili, Russia, you owe me a lot okay TwT.

Also I almost didn't realized it was about a week since I've published. I've been dragged in these two previous days to an exhibit all day forcing me to socialize, and leaving me exhausted at the end of the day. -,-

Don't worry though, we followed social distancing and wore mask and face shields properly.