Chapter 29

Phili nervously paced back and forth across the room, biting her bottom lip as she stared at her phone. A sigh escaped her lips. Just do it.

She shut her eyes tight as she pressed the call button, instantly regretting her decision. Her anxiety ran over her thoughts with every buzz passing. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself down by assuring herself with positivity, but ended up taking a turn for every chance.

"What do you want?" Malay's sour tone snapped her back.

"Uhh, hey, Malay!" she greeted awkwardly. She tried to compose an apology speech this morning, running it countless of times through her head, but what she did not expect was that her mental state was still unprepared. "How you, um, doing?"

Silence met her instead.

"Look, I'm sorry if-"

"You don't sound sorry enough," she cut her off.

"I- ah, what?" Phili asked confusedly, tongue-tied.

"Bitch, didn't you hear me? You don't sound apologetic." Malay's statement made Phili's eyebrows rose.

"I'm sorry? Can you repeat that?" she pressed through gritted teeth.

"Are you deaf?"

A vein popped on her forehead. "I'm sorry but it seems I can't understand bratty language. Do you care to explain?" she forced a smile.

"Ha, did your IQ just gone low that you can't understand the art of talking?"

Phili snapped. She's here trying to make goddamn things right but it seems the other party wasn't willing. "Malay, I fucking swear-"

"There you are, you little piece of shit. Bruh. Took you damn long. What the fuck happened to you?"

Was it directed to her? Phili was even more confused.

"Apologizing? Pfft, ha!" Malay laughed. "Since when have we ever. I thought you got abducted or something. You didn't show up in public meetings for a while. And I thought someone impersonated you."

Phili checked her phone twice to see if she called the right person. It is.

Malay's sudden change of tone caught her off guard. Wasn't she supposed to be mad, upset, angry?

"What...do you mean?"

"Mind you, I'm still upset. Your brother's an asshole." She spat. "And you're a fucking pussy to let him do that."

Even though she said offending words, Phili can't help but smile. "What? To hell with you, that was ours first!"

"Who said so, bitch?"

Phili giggled, earning Malay a smirk from the other side. Silence reigned over them once again, but this time, a comfortable one.

"Can't believe a century has passed but you're still a whiny brat," she said with a teasing smile. "Yet we're here."

"Oh my god, don't remind me of our age. I feel so old."

"Yeah, but you have a toddler's mentality. And I'm older than you."

"Bruh, I can say it goes the same to you. You have a chicken as your spirit animal. A damn coward."

Phili fell silent. A wave of nostalgia hit her as she smiled softly, "Hey...it's been a while..." How she missed interacting with friends, cursing with no remorse. How long has it been, hanging with them? She can hardly recall.