Chapter 28

Hours passed and they sat in comfortable silence. No talking, no moving, just staring at the distance, and just...blissful peace. She had never felt serenity after responsibility burdened her shoulders and shook her life into endless agony of constant stress. It's funny to think that she bore those heavy weights even before she was born.

It's as if she can never escape it—peer pressure. Trapped.

Russia loudly exhaled which caught her attention. "The moon is lovely tonight..."

Phili rested her head on her arms as she stared at the man. She can't help but notice the soft glow bathing him under the lit night sky as his glossy orbs reflected the moon's gleam. His hair messily peaking through underneath his ushanka and she fought the urge to slick it back.

She quietly gave herself a bitter laugh. Oh, what a fool.

They could tell it was past midnight, but they both don't seem to mind staying out later than usual.

She shivered from the cold atmosphere which the male country didn't let pass. He stood up and went back to the small hut to retrieve something. Phili perked up in curiosity. She felt a thick cloth draped around her shoulders and the scent of mint and faint chamomiles surrounded her.

Even though baffled, she forced close her jaw and muttered a small thank you. She hugged it tighter when a gust of wind rushed past them. Her finger traced the cottony material of the collar of his coat. It was soft.

"So...how was it?" she asked quietly, looking up to observe his reaction.

"The day? It was fun."

"But...we didn't do that much..."

"It was relaxing."

Phili let go of her tensed shoulders and made herself cozy as they watched the calm waves tumble on the sand. She closed her eyes and breathed the fresh scent. She hummed an all-too-familiar tune in her head, a song that fades within the background noises of the beach.

It was slow and soothing. Pleasant to the ear. It started on a low note, steadily ascending higher before curling back down to lower. It was a repeated sequence.

She can't help but jump in the ride down to her memory lane.

"Remember, my dear sampaguita, one day, you will wear this on your head and you'll become the prettiest flower of that day." Her mother ran her fingers delicately on her hair, braiding them with little white jade flowers. "You'll soon find yourself a loving husband and a family to take care of."

"But I don't want to marry!" young Phili whined.

Her mother heartily laughed. "Why not?"

"Why should I?"

"Don't you fancy anyone?"

"...nope!"

"How 'bout me?" Del interjected, pointing at himself while giving them a wide grin and wiggling his eyebrows.

"I don't want to marry Kuya Del." Phili tugged at her mother's hem worriedly. "I don't like playboys. I want to rule the country!"

How weird that time's changes. And to think that a century has passed.

The thought of marriage never once crossed her mind again ever since she took up the role as ruler. Well, she did have fantasies, but those were just fleeting desires that haunted her now.

"Life is so shitty..." she can't help but curse it under her breath.

"But with a shot of vodka, everything will be easy." Russia gave her a loop-sided smile as he whipped out a bottle of liquor, making her giggle.