Chapter Ten

Rory, Mom and I were sitting on the couch in the pool house on Friday night having drinks with Richard.

"Well this is a very big honour, you know." Richard reminded Rory with a proud smile from his seat on an armchair across from us.

"Oh, I know." Rory said, still not really believing that she had to do.

"Of all the Chilton alumni at Yale they're asking you?" Richard asked her.

"I know, I know."

"Well, have you thought about what kind of things you'd like to show her?

"Well, she'll go to all of my classes with me, of course. And I thought maybe she'd go to the paper with me and then I thought maybe a trip to the Breakneck Rare Book and Manuscript Library." Rory said excitedly and I rolled my eyes at her. We had finally made up after a week of not talking to each after Rory had gone behind mine and Mom's back and told our Dad not to call Lorelai anymore. I was pissed that she had stuck her nose into something that wasn't her business but I could kind of understand why she had done it so I had finally forgiven her.

"Oh, you're going to show her the Gutenberg." Our grandfather insisted enthusiastically.

"Steve?" Mom joked and I giggled at her.

"Bible." Richard corrected her with an amused smile in her direction.

"Then I was torn between taking her to the Hewitt Memorial Quadrangle or the Science Centre and Gymnasium." Rory added to her pervious conversation with Richard.

"Huh, that is a conundrum." Richard said with a frown.

"Yeah, especially since she'll be snoring by then. You'll just be dragging her dead body weight around the campus." Mom teased them both.

"Lorelai, these things are of great interest to any young person considering attending Yale." Richard informed her and I frowned at that.

"No, they're really not." I corrected Richard and Rory but they ignored me, while Mom laughed at my comment.

"I, personally, would enjoy every single thing on my list." Rory told us and I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Yes, I know, but it wouldn't hurt to maybe throw a little something fun in. I'm not talking a kegger, but just walk her by the crazy drama students yelling "Give me a location," or something like that." Mom suggested and I nodded in agreement.

"You know, your mother may be right." Richard told Rory and Mom and I shared a surprised look.

"Who heard that?" Mom asked and I raised my hand.

"Well, a good college experience is a well-rounded college experience. It's important for you to show her that Yale students have fun too. Oh! Have her touch the toe!" Richard said excitedly and leaned forward in his seat.

"Yeah!" Rory agreed equally as excited as our grandpa.

"Touch the toe?" Mom asked and I shook my head trying to subtly tell her not to ask.

"The toe! The statue of Theodore Woolsey. It brings good luck to everyone who touches his feet and for that reason he has one left toe that's been rubbed completely shiny." Rory explained to her.

"Wow! That is fun. Make sure you get a parent consent form for that one." Mom said sarcastically and I snorted in amusement.

"Oh, it's so exciting watching you girls at Yale. It was such a wonderful time for me. The people that you meet there will stay with you for the rest of your life, mark my words. Tell me are you making good friends?" he asked us.