Chapter Two

Ever since Rory had left for Europe with Emily, I had been staying in her bedroom. After washing the bed sheets thoroughly, of course. Mom and I had been keeping ourselves busy turning the basement into a studio apartment for me to use when I come to stay. Mom was also running herself ragged working at her new inn, but when I asked her about it she just denied it. I was sitting at the kitchen table, which was never used for eating, trying to decide between cherry or enchantress for the paint for my apartment when my cell phone rang. I grabbed my phone from my jeans pocket and checked the caller ID hoping that it was Rory, and she was talking to me again. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't Rory but the name that flashed on the screen brought a smile to my face regardless.

"Mistress Red's Palace of Pleasure, how may I direct your call?" I answered the phone in a seductive voice. The person on the other end just laughed at me. I could hear others in the background.

"I'm definitely already speaking to the girl I want." He said in an equally seductive voice, making me laugh as well.

"How was Fiji, Logan?" I asked my friend. Logan, mutual friends Colin and Stephanie and a bunch of other people had taken a year from Yale to do god knows what. They had asked me to go with them but I wanted to start freshman year with Rory. Logan sighed dramatically on the other end of the phone call.

"We ran into some trouble in Fiji."

"What kind of trouble?" I asked him apprehensively. Logan and Colin had a habit of getting into bad situations, sometimes dragging me with them. Other times I went along with them willingly.

"We sunk the yacht."

"..."

"You still there, Teek?" Logan asked me after a minute of complete silence. I shook my head to clear it, thinking that had heard wrong. I knew that my eyes must have been bugging out of my head.

"You sunk a yacht?"

"Yep." Logan confirmed, popping the 'p'. "Don't worry. This isn't a 'come get me out of jail' call. We are already at the airport and on our way home. I just wanted to check in because we haven't spoken in a while."

"Maybe you were too busy sinking boats." I suggested playfully. Now that I was over my shock that Logan had sunk his father's yacht, I was more amused than anything.

"It's a yacht. Not a boat." He joked back, making me laugh.

"Hey, who's that?" I heard someone say in the background of the call. Logan must have leant away from the phone to answer them because he sounded further away.

"Christa."

"I want to talk to her!" I heard Colin say loudly and then there was silence and the distant sound of Logan and Colin fighting over the phone. I laughed as I listened to two of my best friends fight over who got to talk to me. I had met Colin through a set up by Emily Gilmore. It was one of the only things I was thankful to her for. Through Colin, I had also met Logan and a few more friends but Colin, Logan and I were closer than the other despite a two year difference between us. We had only been friends for a few months before I moved to Boston with my dad. Luckily, Boston was closes enough that when the boys started their freshman year at Yale, I would drive down to spend the weekend with them.

"Hello?" a familiar female voice said over the phone and I smiled to myself. Stephanie and I hadn't started off as friends because was jealous that I had fit right into Logan and Colin's relationship. Also, although she never said it out loud, I had guessed that she was also a little jealous of the casual, no-strings relationship that Colin and I had shared the first few months we knew each other.