Chapter 48.

" Thank you." I hear Owen say, as he walks the doctor out.

I touch on my bandaged middle, sighing in relief that it's not as painful anymore. When the doctor had touched and pressed the wound, the tingling was replaced by a shot of pain.

Thankfully, he told us that I just need to take a better look after myself and not push too hard. I should not push too hard to fully recover, I should allow everything to take natural cause.

I think Owen must be more relieved, when the doctor had said we didn't need to go to the hospital. I'm pretty sure that he has no desire to ever visit the hospital again. Not that I did.

One of the things that the doctor was impressed by, was how well I've been doing, in terms of my walking pace and that I'm functioning okay, that the gunshot, didn't do any permanent damage.

I get up off the couch, pulling down my shirt and heading to the kitchen. I take out a can of coke from the fridge, preparing to have one of dad's chocolate chip cookies.  I feel caught with my hand stuck in the cookie jar, when I see him standing at the doorway, pretty much watching me.

He arches a brow at me and I sigh.

" I'm really craving this." I explain myself, gesturing to the coke. " And this." I point to the cookies.

" Not before dinner."

" Dad come on, it's just...." I think we both freeze in place, the moment I say dad.

" I truly said it, didn't I?" I speak up after some time in silence, my eyes now cast down to the counter.

" Do you regret it?"

My head picks up and I meet his eyes.

" No, no regrets from me.....I just - I'm sorry that it took so long for me to say it."

He doesn't say anything but comes over to me, not wasting any time in pulling me into his arms. I wrap my arms around his middle and rest my head against his chest.

" I'm sorry dad, for hurting you."

" No, no Sunshine, don't apologise. This moment is most precious right now, it feels so good to hear you call me dad." He says, before kissing the top of my head.

We remain in the embrace for a while, and we both lose ourselves in this good feeling of comfort, that transfers between father and daughter.

" Thank you for accepting me." His words do something to my heart and I can't help but to respond.

I pull back and look him in the face, as I say, " My heart accepted you a long time ago. I was just scared and couldn't believe that what I secretly hoped for, has been the truth. I just feel bad for what I said and ----------"

" No, no. I kept the truth hidden from you for so long. That was wrong of me, on so many levels. I should be the one to apologise, I'm sorry sweetheart, for keeping you in the dark for so long. Forgive me Chloe."

I embrace him again. " I understand that you did all of this to protect me." I look up and smile at him. " You're my dad and that means you'll have to deal with me, I mean, people have said that I'm quite a handful." I gasp dramatically, widening my eyes.

He playfully rolls his eyes. " I have my hands full, don't I?"

" Yep." I nod.

" Well, I look forward to it, starting with saying no to the coke." He says, walking over to take the apron and put it back on.

" But dad...." He glances at me and I swear that a smile takes over his face.

This is the first time I've ever seen a big smile from him. It reflects what he's feeling inside and just by knowing that he's happy, makes me feel happy.