eleven

⌜ chapter eleven ⌟

"Boy, you're with somebody for thirty-two years, you think you know 'em." Cory says from where he's sitting on the arm of the couch in the apartment.

"You know, Cor, when I said that you could come in, I didn't think you'd be bitching about all the things I watched yesterday." Letty says, sitting on the opposite side of the couch.

"It's everything that Eric was saying yesterday." He turns to look at her. "How do you two get along so well? You're not him, you're you."

Her eyebrows furrow. "I'm not sure I'm following that last bit."

"Sorry, something my dad said last night." He sighs. "But why do you fall in so easily with us and she just doesn't?"

"Well, kid, my Christmas tradition was couch hopping between Shawn and Eric." She tells him. "I didn't have a bunch of presents to open on either Christmas Eve or Christmas morning. I just had what your mom helped Eric pick out, what Shawn stole—"

"I did not!" The younger boy quickly argues, and she gives him a deflated look. He sighs. "Fine, maybe I did, but you weren't supposed to know that."

"—and what Jack sent in the mail. So, my gifts were opened whenever they found their way to me." She finishes as she looks back at Cory.

"You don't have any family traditions?" Cory asks, and she shakes her head.

"I was just glad that my dad spent the whole day too drunk to hit me." The brunette says. "I guess Eric and I got lucky on this one... As lucky as you can consider it."

"What about when you were... Never mind."

"With the Winchesters?" She asks. "John wasn't much for Christmas, but Dean and Miller tried to make it the best they could for their brother. We did some things that I'll never actually tell you about."

"Yeah, 'cause we think Dean's such a good guy anyway." Shawn mumbles.

"John did bring a wreath back to the motel one Christmas Eve though." The brunette smiles as she thinks back to that year. "It was made of crushed beer cans. It was kinda ugly, but Dean and I loved it... Sorry I can't be more help, kid." She says, and Cory shrugs.

"So... You walked out on Topanga on Christmas Eve day?" Shawn asks his best friend, who simply nods. "Cory, go back."

"No. I'm not gonna go back." He says as he looks up at him.

"You know, Jack, he doesn't realize how lucky he is to have a girl like Topanga." He says as he looks at his older brother.

"I don't really know her." Jack says.