nineteen

⌜ chapter nineteen ⌟

"I don't want to go out tonight, Hope." Letty says as she watches her best friend get ready for the night. "I'm really not feeling up to it."

Hope glances at her in the mirror as she's putting her short hair up. "And you're never going to if all you do is lay in your room all day and stare at the ceiling."

"Hope—"

"Look, this isn't some kind of set-up, okay?" She says as she turns to face her. "It's just gonna be me, you, and Lina — that's all, I promise."

She takes a deep breath as she looks at her, and then she nods. "Okay." She agrees, and Hope smiles as she turns back to the mirror to finish fixing her hair. "I'm gonna go play with the girls."

"Tía! Tía!" Faith yells when Letty walks out into the living room.

"¿, mija?" The teenager makes her way over and kneels down beside the toddler where she's playing with her fake kitchen set.

"I-I make dinner!"

"You're making dinner?" She asks. "Do I get to have some?"

"Tocino." She smiles as she holds up the plastic food.

"Mm. I love bacon." Letty smiles as she takes what the toddler's handing to her. She pretends to take a bite, and then looks at the little one with wide eyes. "It's hot."

Faith giggles as she looks at her. "Blow, Tía."

"Oh, that's right." She chuckles as she blows on the plastic bacon strip and takes another pretend bite to watch her niece's amusement. "It's delicious, mija. Gracias."

"Wewcome." The little brunette returns her attention to the food on the small stovetop.

"What do you think?" Jason asks as she walks over to the kitchen. He's making the girls' actual dinner: chicken nuggets, Mack-N-Cheese, and green beans. "Tiny chef in the making?"

"Oh, yeah." Letty smiles. "She's gonna have her own restaurant with customers lined up around the block."

"Maybe we should have her spend more time with Reggie." He says, and she smirks.

"Oh, my brother would love that." Lina says as she shuts the apartment door behind her.

"And that wasn't sarcasm." Letty tells him. "He loves cooking, and he likes hanging out with the twins. The only thing he won't do is diaper duty."

"Yeah, I don't blame him." Jason mutters, and the three girls laugh.

"And that's why we appreciate you." Hope says as she makes her way into the living room to say bye to the twins. "Never afraid to get his hands dirty."