sixteen

⌜ chapter sixteen ⌟

"Shut up, putz." Letty shakes her head at her best friend as Jason starts laughing.

"Thanks for helping me with the girls." He walks over and sits with the brunette, carrying the sandwiches that he made after they put the twins down for their nap.

"Thanks for helping me with my homework. You miss one week of college and it sets you back a month." She sighs, and he smirks as she takes her plate.

"Isn't that only, like, one day of each class that you missed?" He asks, and she nods.

"Yeah, but it's still a lot of work to make up, and I don't have Jack in all of my classes, so I didn't get all of it last week. I hate playing catch-up."

"Then you're gonna have to stop playing hooky." He tells her, and she takes a deep breath.

"Yeah, I went back today, and I don't plan on missing anything else. But I needed the time to think and...try and clear my head."

"I know." He nods. "How are you doing?"

"I don't know." Letty shakes her head. "I didn't know that it was possible to miss someone so much. Sometimes, if I think about everything for too long...it's like my body starts to physically ache, and..." She takes a deep breath as she looks down.

"Have you seen him besides at Chubbie's during the game?" He asks, and she shakes her head.

"No. But I'm sure I'll see him in class tomorrow."

"You know, uh... I was talking to Jack the other day, and he told me about what happened after you got all your stuff out of Eric's room." He starts, and her eyebrows furrow as she looks at him, having no idea what he's talking about. "I guess he saw that all of your stuff was gone, and he kinda... He broke some stuff, started throwing things in the room. Sounds like he's not taking this whole thing very well either."

"He broke up with me." Letty says. "He found out that I was a hunter, and he ended our relationship. He wouldn't even let me... If I reached for him, he backed away. And if I managed to touch him, he moved my hands...like he was afraid of me, or...repulsed by me." She shakes her head as she looks down. "After everything that we've been through, he just..."

"I'm sorry, Scar."

"I have to go." She says as she gets to her feet. "I have a shift at Mr. Matthews' store." She tells him, and he nods.

Letty's glad when she doesn't run into Eric in the elevator or the lobby, and then she quickly gets to work. "Oh, good, Scarlett." Mr. Matthews gets her attention when he sees her. "Ansel Adams is Eric's favorite from your Art History class, right?" He asks, and she nods.