thirty-one

⌜ chapter thirty-one ⌟

"I didn't know that any of you carried guns anymore." Alec says as he looks down at his sister.

Letty's in Jason's hospital room, she hasn't left since they told her that it was okay for her to go in and stay with him. Her dark, red-ringed eyes are on her best friend, like she's afraid something will happen if she looks away for even a moment.

"He started again after Julian shot him." She tells him, her voice barely loud enough for him to hear.

"Why were the bullets silver?" He asks, confused. "Did he know that there was a werewolf in the area?"

"We saw the papers last month...but it doesn't matter what it is to protect us from a human, and silver protects against humans and any kind of shapeshifter. Was just more convenient."

Alec looks over at Tyler and Reggie, but neither of them know what to say. "Why don't you come down to the cafeteria with me? You need to eat something." He tells his sister.

"I'm not leaving before he wakes up."

"It's not good to take meds on an empty stomach, and you have to take the painkillers and the antibiotics." He says, but she doesn't move. "Scar—"

"I'm not leaving him." Letty cuts him off, and he nods in understanding.

"Why don't we see if there's anything we can bring back?" Tyler suggests. "But you are eating and taking your pills even if I have to sit on you and force it down your throat."

"Yes, Dad." She mutters as the three men leave the room.

Letty stays there, unmoving as she watches Jason's chest rise and fall with every breath that he takes. He lost a lot of blood, and there was internal damage that needed surgery, but the doctors are confident that he'll make a full recovery. And maybe they're right about his body, but Letty doesn't know how they're supposed to survive losing Hope.

For years, the three of them have worked as a team in everything — paying the bills, dealing with heartbreak, sorting through family drama...raising the twins. She doesn't know how they're supposed to tell Faith and Joy that their mom is never coming home. She doesn't know how she's supposed to tell Jason when he wakes up. Hell, she still doesn't believe it herself.

Letty sits up when Jason starts to move. His shaky hand slowly moves up as he reaches for the tube that's sticking in nose. The brunette quickly gets to her feet before moving toward him, and she grabs his hand.

"You gotta leave that alone, Jase." She says, and his blue eyes shift to her, trying to find the face that goes with the familiar voice. "Doc says you need it, just for a little while."