All the shipowners wanted to buy the gown cheaply. One woman even offered her a miserly 10 yuan and tried to convince her the gown was of low quality and made from imitation fabrics.

10 yuan! She could buy the beading on the dress with 10 yuan.

Finally, a pawn store owner directed her to a shop. The shop sold a variety of working tools but the store owner was looking to buy his eldest daughter a wedding gown for her upcoming marriage.

Chang Ying dragged her weary body there. She had not yet eaten breakfast and her arm was beginning to throb with pain. When she got there the man only agreed to look at the gown because she said the pawn store told her to come to him.

Nevertheless, the second she opened the wrappings and unfolded the gown the man grasped in delight. The gown was obviously customised and handsewn. The man grasped and turned the dress over many times to study all the finer details.

The two discussed the price and after a lot of back and forth haggling, the man gave her 88 yuan and a pair of good quality boots.

Afterwards, Chang Ying happily tucked the money away inside her blouse, took her basket and the boots and headed to her family home in town.

It was already past noon when she arrived. Her mother, Wu Meng, was home and once she saw how tired and sweaty her daughter was, she quickly went to prepare water for her to bathe and freshen up again.

Once Chang Ying came out from the bathroom, her mother already had a meal waiting for her. .

Chang Ying did not bother being courteous and quickly sat down, her chopsticks moved so quick, she was like an Olympic champion.

Wu Meng added another spoon of rice to her daughter's bowl and twisted her red lips. "Look at you, haven't you eaten in days?"

Wu Ming nagged and nagged while she went between the kitchen and the dining room. She added more and more dishes till Chang Ying felt helpless.

When her father, Cheng Mo, came home, he was shocked and happy to see his daughter. Chang Mo had the presence of a regal bamboo. He was a thin, tall man with a straight-edged nose where his round spectacles sat. His onyx eyes were deep and dark, and his face held an understated handsomeness that belied his usual teacher-like scowl.

Before the man could even ask her how her married life was, Wu Meng descended on him with scalding words.

Chang Mo quietly took a seat beside his daughter and ate without a word. Father and daughter looked at each other. One look, and Chang Ying could see all the questions he wanted to ask.

How was she doing?

Could she cope with the village life?

Did she have enough to eat?

Was Lu Chen and his family treating her well?

Was she suffering too much?

Did she need his help?

Chang Ying smiled and nodded at her father. She couldn't say any more with her mother looming over the both of them. Still, she knew her father well. He was a teacher and a principled man. He was also the only reason she could successfully marry Lu Chen.

Before she got married, her father had called her and spoken to her about what she might have to endure. Back then, it was all words and she brushed it off. It was only after she experienced it that she understood what her father feared for her. On the other hand, Lu Chen had attended Chang Mo's school. Since Lu Chen was a very good student and all the teachers often praised him from front to back, Chang Mo could vouch for his future son-in-law's character.