☂ Lonely ☂ (Jake x Hailey)

Requested by Melsierralee

"... I'm going to have her wrapped around my finger in no time."

"Really, Liam? Just because of one date? It barely lasted an hour!" Henry cried.

It was a Friday afternoon at Yelija Park, and many of Alabama High's students had taken the afternoon off to hang out at the park. The sun shone brightly in the sky, and shadows of trees dappled the emerald grass. Leaves fluttered, branches swayed, and children laughed.

Jake sat down on an ebony black bench, looking down at his phone as he scrolled mindlessly on Gachagram. He crossed his legs, paying no attention to the three friends beside him.

"Aw, c'mon. Stacy and I hung out for the whole night! She's totally into me."

"You sure you're not doing this just because of her mother?" Drew narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms skeptically.

"Nah, Stacy's actually pretty cute. I think we have some real chemistry between us!"

"In your dreams," Henry scoffed.

"Says the one that thinks lettuce -"

Liam was suddenly interrupted by a small whimpering sound reaching their ears. Jake turned, and he saw Hailey sitting on a bench a little way off. Her head was buried in her knees, which were tucked into her chest. Her arms wrapped around them tightly, covered by loose strands of teal hair

"I wonder what that music freaks sniffling about," Drew remarked, snickering. "Wook at duh wittle baby!" He made a cruel impression of a toddler, and Henry and Liam guffawed.

Jake felt something cold wrap around his heart.

"How pathetic," Drew scoffed. "We're in high school, for goodness sake. I guess some people can't grow up."

Jake opened his mouth to interrupt, when suddenly, a notification rang from Drew's phone. The magenta head looked at it and frowned.

"It's Zoey. She and Lia are done shopping. We should go pick them up now; I promised Zoey I'd take her to Olive Garden after," He sighed, and he and Henry and Liam started to walk away.

Jake lingered and looked back at the distraught Hailey. The tears that rolled down her face made his heart hurt. He stole a glance back at his friends, who were already halfway to the parking lot. They didn't seem to be missing his presence.

He hesitated, then deciding that Hailey's need was greater than theirs, he walked over to the bench and sat down beside her.

People ambled past them. Birds sung. The sun continued to shine ever so brightly in the sky, and at last, Hailey took one last shaky breath as the tears came to a stop. Still, she didn't lift her head from her arms.

"...Hailey?" Jake asks softly, not wanting to rush her

"Go away, Jake," Hailey's words were barely audible, as they were muffled through her tears.

"How did you know it was me?" asked Jake, cracking a small smile. "Did you miss my voice?"

"Why would I?" said Hailey, voice hollow. She didn't laugh, and the smile quickly vanished from Jake's face.

"Well, uh, you know, being someone with such a handsome face and witty smile, who wouldn't miss me?"

"I sure wouldn't," she continued in the same, hollow voice, "but I'm sure your friends would. Why don't you run back to them?"