Chapter 20

EDITED

All Haylie had been able to think about since the other night was the fear that controlled her body when she was faced with the Alpha for the second time. She had done as Derek told her to do. She ran and she hid, and she waited for him to save her. Yet it felt like she had done the complete wrong thing.

"So, if Derek isn't the Alpha and isn't the one that bit you, then who is?" Stiles questioned snapped the girl back to the reality of their economics class. She turned her head to see Scott shrug. It turns out, right before Derek saved her from the alpha, he had told Scott everything that Haylie hadn't. He also decided to tell him that Haylie knew all this information all along. If Stiles hadn't been so worried about his sister when she finally got home after the incident, he would have had a lot more to say about the secret keeping. "Did the Alpha kill the bus driver?" Stiles asked again as he leant forward in his seat to attempt a whisper.

"I don't know." Scott sighed, keeping his head straight to the front. Stiles fell back in his seat again for only a moment before he leaned forward once more.

"Does Allison's dad know about the..." Scott's quick whizz around interrupted Stiles before he could even use his words to tell him he didn't have all the answers. Just as Stiles slid back once again, and Scott returned to the front, the marked tests began landing on the students' desks. Despite everything, Haylie still smiled at her 'A' and turned to see Stiles very happy with his own. However, when her eyes caught the big red D on Scott's paper her smile dropped just as her brothers did. "Dude, you need to study more." Scott ignored him and threw his paper back down on the desk. Stiles looked to his sister for a moment before back to the back of his friend's head. "That was a joke. Scott it's one test, you'll make it up."

"Do you need help studying?" Haylie offered, seeing how much stress he was really under. Scott looked to her, surprised she even made the offer before he shook his head with a sigh.

"No. I'm studying with Allison after school." Haylie smiled a little, looking back down to her own paper.

"That's my boy." Her smile turned into disgust at her brothers' comment, forcing her decision to zone out of their conversation to be an easy one. Her mind returned once again to events of the other night. She of course told her dad, and the detectives, and her brother, and her friends that she was fine. A bit shaken up, maybe which was why she took a few days off school. It didn't seem right to her to show her true emotions when she was so embarrassed by them. She was embarrassed that she was so weak she hid in the cupboard with a child, hoping someone would rescue them.

The bell snapped her out of her thoughts once again as she began to pack up her things and re-enter the conversation. "Just no more questions please." Scott asked politely but she could see he was exhausted.

"Okay." Stiles agreed. "No more questions about the Alpha. Or Derek." Haylie noticed the way his eyes dropped a little at the mention of Derek. "Especially Derek, who still scares me." She shook her head, a little amused at her brother's reaction before saying her goodbyes and leaving them and this conversation behind.

As soon as Haylie caught sight of her two friends, she couldn't help but feel more like herself with a smile on her face and new information to gossip over. "Guess what I heard." She announced as she fell into line next to the brunette a few inches taller that her. She missed the look on both girls face like they wanted to say something they hadn't had the chance to yet today. "Scott's coming over tonight?" Lydia's concerned face changed pretty quickly at the new information while Allison just rolled her eyes and tried to hide her blush.

"We're just studying together." She shrugged it off while Haylie and Lydia shook their heads amused.

"Just studying never ends with just studying." Haylie commented as they headed towards the stairs. Lydia scoffed and looked over Allison to meet Haylie's eyes.