Chapter 2

EDITED

After Haylie got home, she realised if she stayed in this house alone, she would become a snooping sister around Stiles' bedroom and it was the last thing she wanted to become. So, instead she found her Nike running shorts and tied her trainers ready to sprint out her frustrations.

Exercise was the only thing that Haylie ever felt really calmed her down. It gave her something else to focus on. The sweat dropping from her body and the aches in her limbs. Feeling her body changing was exhilarating. It had been a release to her for as long as she could remember and after her mother died it was the only way she could run away from her feelings without actually running away.

She ran through the woods at a steady pace, forcing herself not to run faster and burn herself out. The music in her ears only increasing her desire to run until she couldn't anymore. She became so lost in maintaining control that she almost fell when she saw a moving figure in the distance. For some reason fear jumped through her body and she moved to push her back against the bark of a tree. She pulled the headphone out of her ear and made a small movement to peer around the tree.

Scott.

She sighed and came out from behind the tree when she saw the two teen boys walking in the direction her usual route takes her. A choice had to be made, continue as if she hadn't seen them and hope they don't bother trying to talk to her, or turn in the other direction and run a different route.

With her decision made, Haylie stuck her headphones back in her ears and turned to run in a new direction. Confronting them after already exploding only an hour ago didn't seem like the best idea for her own sanity.

After about 20 minutes, she greatly regretted her decision, she had no idea where she was. The woods never seemed so big and the trees never looked so much the same.

Considering Haylie had lived in Beacon hills for the last 16 years. She had never needed to worry about where she was. However, as she continued to walk in a direction, she was unsure of, she remembered this morning's headlines. "Unidentified Body Found in Beacon Hills Preserve".

She stopped walking for a moment and took in a deep breath, hoping to not freak herself out over a once in 16 year occurrence. The headphones were removed from her ears and a slower walk began. She focussed on her breathing rather than the crackling of leaves and twigs snapping around her. Fear wouldn't help her in this situation, she just had to look for something familiar.

After another 10 minutes of walking, Haylie could see the outline of a house. Curiosity never really killed the cat she thought. If she recognised it, it might help her get home. Although, as she got closer and closer she saw the wood hanging off the roof and the cold grey colour of the burnt porch.

The Hale House

She, of course, knew the story of the Hale House. The fire that killed a whole family. It was silly that she still felt the need to take a moment to pay respects. But if she didn't, then she wouldn't have seen the sleek black Camaro parked outside. Maybe a person that could offer some direction out of the cold and darkening woods or someone that found hanging around old abandoned houses a source of entertainment.

Just as Haylie decided not to tempt fate this time. "What are you doing here?" Fate decided to grab her in a firm hold. She almost got whiplash with how quickly she turned to face the masculine voice.

He was still stalking up towards her when their faces met. Both surprised with what they faced. Haylie's voice was caught in her throat, still shaken from the abrupt interruption to her own thoughts. "This is private property." He continued, stopping in his tracks finally.