Chapter 8

EDITED 

They had been sat in silence for 10 minutes now. Just before they reached Haylie's house, she asked him to stop the car again, so, he parked on the side of the road a few houses down and turned off the engine. A few minutes after they stopped, Haylie turned in her seat to face him a little better as if she was about to ask more questions but instead, she was still silent. Derek stayed, his eyes scanning the street, watching her house to see if her brother or dad would be leaving anytime soon. "You have to go in eventually." He finally said and turned his head to see her staring at her fiddling fingers.

Haylie nodded, knowing he was right. "I just don't think I can go in that house and hear any more lies from Stiles right now. I'm tired of being lied to."

Knowing that he was one of the people that had lied to her, even if they barely knew each other, forced him to take responsibility of his own guilt. "You know, Stiles has only lied to you, to protect you." Her head lifted and she couldn't stop her forehead from scrunching at the man coming to her brother's defence. "Don't get me wrong, even hearing that kids voice makes me want to rip my own ears off but," He paused for a moment seeing her roll her eyes. "he thought I might hurt you. So, he didn't lie to you he was being a good brother."

Haylie was definitely surprised about whose side Derek was on, but she knew he was right. There wasn't much Stiles could have said that would even make her believe him anyway. He did try to warn her away from Derek, but she chose not to listen, and now it was starting to make her feel guilty instead of angry. They fell into a silence again for another five minutes.

"What did you mean about Scott being out of control?" She asked suddenly, deciding to stop picking questions and just ask the ones that pop out.

"He's new." Derek replied simply, moving around in his seat a bit more when he realised, they could be sat there for a while. "New werewolves don't know how to control it. They have entirely new senses and a new power that unless you know what's happening can spiral out of control every day let alone on a full moon." At the mention of a full moon, Haylie wondered how much of the werewolf movies she had seen were actually based on facts. "I need to help him control it before he exposes us or hurts someone."

"How do you control it?"

"I was born this way. I had my family to help me. Control was never something I had big issues with." Haylie nodded, her question about how Derek became this way now answered.

"So, you can just change whenever you want?"

He nodded, but then found amusement in the idea he knew she had in her mind. "It's not like a bad movie. It isn't painful and I don't suddenly grow a tail." He didn't want to laugh at her as he knew they were valid questions, so he just bit his lip and looked away from her for a moment. "What you saw out there when I shifted, it's about as scary as I get."

Once again, they were silent.

"I should go inside." Derek nodded but still didn't start the car. The words were true, but he knew she had no intention of moving from her position right now.

"We can sit here for as long as you like however, unless you're planning on wearing a sports bra and covered in mud to a party you do need to change." For the first time in an hour she let let out a real laugh until she turned to his face. Even in the, now, pitch black night, the streetlamp illuminated the seriousness on his face.

"I'm not going to a stupid party Derek."

Derek sighed and turned back to the house. "Scott's going with Alison. I need to be there, and I can't go without you."

Haylie shook her head, in disbelief that she couldn't see it before. Why would a guy like him want to go to a party like that to begin with if it wasn't for his own gain? "Derek, I'm sorry but you're going to have to figure something else out because there is no way I am going to a party after what just happened to me." He understood but that didn't mean it didn't frustrate him that she couldn't just decide to trust and help him. "Lydia usually leaves the back gate open anyway, so it's not like you need to find a way in the front door."