Chapter 17

EDITED

Her screams and cries filled the car along with the occasionally thudding of her palm against the steering wheel. Her frustrations coming out with violence against her own car. Haylie couldn't believe how stupid she had been. She allowed herself to be pulled in different directions and the one person who wanted to protect her, she helped get thrown into jail.

After the sheriff revealed the identify of the girl, she knew they had been wrong about her killer. In the small amount of time Haylie had spent with Derek, she felt like she knew him well enough to know he was in pain from what happened to his family. He wouldn't kill the only one he had left and the fact he had buried her at their house meant he was still grieving. He had opened up to her and let his guard down and she betrayed him. She looked around the parking lot and debated leaving here and going to find him however, she had no idea where to find him or if he would even want to be found. Although, if he was out of jail then maybe, he would be waiting for her in her bedroom.

She was proven wrong when she entered her empty room. After the idea had planted itself, she couldn't drive any faster to get home, in hopes of making things right, but it appears he had different ideas.

Derek stayed outside tonight. He saw her car arrive and saw how she rushed into the house, unsure why until he heard her enter the bedroom and disappointment wash over her. He hoped that she was disappointed that he wasn't there however, after being arrested by her father, lied to and kissed as a distraction, he wasn't sure what this girl was capable off so, he remained outside where he knew she couldn't hurt him.

A few days later, Haylie walked into school with Stiles and Scott by her side. Listening to the story of Scott's nightmare actually seemed like something that was important to their current predicament of his control. Or lack of.

"So, you killed her?" Stiles asked after Scott finished the details of ripping apart a school bus and clawing at Alison's ankles.

"I don't know. I just woke up." Haylie saw how the dream had really shaken him but, then she remembered her nightmares of the Alpha and knew how they affected her, so it wasn't something to take lightly. "I was sweating like crazy and I couldn't breathe. I've never had a dream where I've woken up like that before."

Haylie moved out of the way just as one of the jocks ran past to catch a flying lacrosse ball in the middle of the hallway. She was about to comfort Scott and say she had experienced it too but apparently her brother decided to take that on himself. "I have dreams like that all the time. Usually ends a little differently though." While Scott let out a short laugh, Haylie reached around him to smack her brother over the head. "Ow, sorry. I keep forgetting you're here."

She ignored the comment and continued as she was going to. "I've had dreams like that before. It feels so real while you're in it. Even when I've woken up again it takes a moment to realise It was just a dream." Scott nodded along, that was exactly how he was feeling. "Aren't you going out with Alison tomorrow night? Maybe it's pre-date nerves." He nodded in response, definitely considering it a possibility but still hearing her screams.

Stiles sighed, wanting to support his stressed friend. "I think you're taking this whole thing pretty well. I mean, its not like there's a lycanthropy for beginners' class you can take."

"Maybe not a class. But there is a teacher."

This time it was Scott's head to be slapped when Stiles realised, he was talking about Derek. "Are you forgetting the part where we got him tossed in Jail?" Even Haylie was surprised at the suggestion but not nearly as opposed to it as her brother. It had been a few days and not a single word had come from the older werewolf, she was starting to wonder if he had just decided to skip town all together.