Chapter 13

EDITED

The last few days had consisted of avoiding every single person that was the most difficult to avoid. While hoping more than anything the one person avoiding her, would show up. Stiles and Scott had try to corner Haylie multiple times but she always wormed her way out of it, either by staying extra late at the dance studio or pretending to be in the shower for a few hours while she did her homework on the bathroom floor. Her dad had been pretty easy to avoid. A dead body wasn't a regular occurrence for Beacon Hills and being the sheriff meant he hadn't even had time to continue his questioning on Derek.

Derek hadn't made an appearance since the cold stare and quick escape outside of the studio. Although, every time Haylie came home from school or from the studio, she couldn't help her hope grow as she opened her bedroom door, and then feel it shatter when she realised, he hasn't shown up.

Today was the day of defeat though. Haylie tried to be as stealthy as possible when she got home from school, by coming in the back door after seeing Stiles Jeep outside the house. He rarely, especially the last few days had gotten home before her, so it should have been her first warning sign, but of course she ignored it. It wasn't long after Haylie entered the house that she was taken hostage by the two teens boys and forced into Stiles' room with the door locked to prevent her from any more escaping.

Fast forward an hour and Haylie sat silently on Stiles' bed with her brother standing still, apart from his annoying twitching fingers and Scott sat on the chair, releasing a deep breath to show he had finished talking. "So, let me get this straight." Haylie started, releasing a deep breath of her own. She brought herself to a stand and began to pace in front of the, made, double bed. "You wolfed out at the party on Friday. Derek then drove Allison home. You then found Alison's jacket in the middle of the woods which Derek placed there to lure you out. Then, Alison's father shot you with a crossbow." She paused to make sure she was getting the facts right. "Derek then offered to help you control it, after saving you?"

Scott and Stiles looked to each other but then nodded, knowing she had actually grasped the long-winded story in only a few sentences. "That sounds like a good thing. Derek wants to help you control it."

Stiles shook his head, refusing to accept any help from the man who, he believed, had done this to his best friend. "That means actually letting Derek help us." Haylie rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. "Don't pretend like you trust him either Haylie. Scott heard you the other day."

At the mention of his name, Scott chipped in. "Why did Derek even tell you any of this? The fact that you don't even seem fazed tells me you know more than we do." Haylie shook her head before he had even finished talking.

"He didn't tell me anything about what happened on Friday. And like Stiles said, you heard our conversation. You know we aren't friends."

"You think he's the bad guy though. And he knows that." When Haylie looked down to her feet, remembering their last conversation she felt the guilt seep in again. "There's more." He accepted he probably wasn't going to get any more information from her, so he decided to give her some in return. "I went to Derek's house. Just to tell him to stay away from you and Allison but, I could smell something coming from a freshly laid patch of dirt." Haylie shrugged, not knowing why that mattered. "Haylie I could smell blood."

At the new information, Haylie allowed herself to drop back down to the bed. After seeing his sister's reaction, Stiles unfolded his arms and moved closer to her. "You know that Jane doe that they found in the woods. We think Derek is the one that killed her."

Derek had never said that the Alpha was the one that killed the girl, but she had assumed it was as he never denied it either. She decided to have faith in him so plucked up the courage to fight his corner. "Dad found the body, that's how they know somebody was killed." The two boys looked to each other, not realising they had privileged information over her. "Maybe Derek likes to garden." The boys were still talking with their eyes when Haylie looked back up from the blue carpet. "What? They did find the body, right?"