Not All Jewels Are Precious

Zelda stood from the window bench to grab a few books from the shelf.

"Come darling; it's time for your history lesson with Master Muzu." Garnet groaned.

"Alright." She got down from her seat to follow Zelda down the hall. Muzu was waiting in the throne room. The old green Zora smiled at the queen's approach.

"Good afternoon, my queen, My princess."

"Good afternoon, Master Muzu. Are you ready for the lesson?"

"Indeed. Please, have a seat Garnet." Garnet grumbled under her breath as she plopped down on the throne. Zelda kissed her forehead before leaving. Once Zelda was gone, Muzu turned and began to talk. Garnet didn't listen; she never did.

"Freak of nature. Zoras are just ugly overgrown fish. They're glorified FOOD, for goodness sake." Her blood began to boil as she mulled over this. A half hour later, Muzu mentioned the Gorons and Ritos; boy, did Garnet get angry at that. "Fish and birds aren't people! Nither are walking bricks! I wish I could grind them up for building houses! I could fix homelessness and famine if I got rid of those dumb rocks and animal-folk! They're unnatural and wrong, just like the Sheikah and the Yiga! Once I'm queen, I'll get rid of those mangy, magical, Gods and Goddess worshipping FOOLS!"

"Garnet, can you answer my question?" Muzu repeated. Garnet glared at him, practically seering a hole into his skull.

"No. I simply don't care, you walking entree!" She spat, venom leaking from each word. Muzu paled.

"Oh! Oh my... I'm... So be it." Something told the old Zora this was a battle he'd lose. "Why don't we end things early today? Your dismissed."

"Hmph. Freak." Garnet growled. Muzu pretended like he hadn't heard. He made a mental note to speak with Zelda much later.

The princess walked briskly to her room to write-no, plot-in her diary. She passed by a stuffed sandseal on her bed from Chief Riju. Sir Flippers was her favorite toy to rant to. For a seven year old, she had a lot to rant about.

She talked passionately for an hour about her hatred for five out of Hyrule's main seven races, along with the hatred for anything magical or divine. She really hated Hylia and Demise especially. Hearing about Ganon drove her nuts. Knowing the curse placed on her family, she vowed to break it herself. She wanted to find her siblings and make them help her break it. Once she finished saying everything, she wrote it all down. With pictures, naturally; Garnet couldn't write yet. Soon, Kohga came to scold her about how she had spoken to muzu. The girl shrugged it off.

"That's the first time you've been rude to anyone darling," Kohga spoke worriedly. "I'm just wondering what's gotten into you?"

"Well it's true! Zora are just big, intelligent, walking fish! Fish are food!"

"Garnet, these 'fish' are some of the oldest and most well respected members of Hyrule's society. That includes Muzu."

"Ugh."

"I'm not asking you to like them, but please just have a little respect. They don't look like you; but they've got personalities and emotions just like yours. That's just as important."

"Hmph. Yes father." Garnet mumbled. Kohga shook his head with a sigh.

"Huh. It's getting late, my jewel. It's time for bed."

"Okay... Good night father."

"Good night, Garnet; pleasant dreams. I love you."

"Mhmm" She hissed under her breath. Kohga was resigned to let it slide. He kissed her forehead before blowing out the candles and leaving the room. "Father?"

"Yes, darling?"

"... I wish you were Hylian. The Yiga magic makes it hard to love you back." Garnet almost heard her step-father pale behind that stupid mask.

"Uh! Umm, o... okay....?" He left without another word. Once her door was shut, the king raced down the hall. Quickly, he located his wife in the study. "Zelda! Zelda!"

"What? What's wrong, Kohga?"

"I think my step-daughter may be racist!!" Kohga panted. "It seems like she hates the Zoras; and she told me she didn't love me because of my 'Yiga magic.'"

"Well I'm not exactly fond of you and your magic either," Zelda deadpanned, shooting him an unimpressed look.

"Very funny. I get it, I'm not Link. You've made that crystal clear over the last seven years."

"And I will remind you every year after. It's therapeutic after all the suffering your damned clan caused us over the years."

"You have a point, and once again I apologize, but at least you treat me as a baser friend. She said that like she hates my guts; And don't you find the Zora thing concerning?"

"I do, I do. However, I'm sure you've already explained why saying awful things like that isn't good. Short of punishment, I don't know what else to do. What if it runs deeper than we suspect? The whole thing just gives me a bad feeling..."

"Yeah. Perhaps we should find the source of these beliefs and end it. If the issue persists, we'll know it's something more." Kohga suggested. Zelda nodded.

The next day, everyone at the castle was interrogated. When nothing came up, Zelda confronted Garnet personally. The child laughed and told her that she came up with everything by herself and that she wasn't sorry for being right. That remark earned her a week without dessert and a very worried set of parents. They were even more unsure about what to do. In fact, all they could do was put stricter rules in place and crack down on the girl's opinions. Little did the pair know, their efforts only further solidified Garnet's deep seated hatred. She blamed Kohga more than anyone. Him and his cursed magic. Over time, she began to distance herself from her family, even from Zelda, whom she had been very close to. Anyone who didn't agree with her was no ally in Garnet's book; and Zelda obviously disagreed. By the time Garnet was twelve, she hardly spoke to her parents at all. By then, all it would take was one disaster to push the princess over the edge; and it would be coming very, very soon.