The Heir- Part 1 Ends

By the time a month passed,  Kohga's scouts had scoured Hyrule top to bottom. After all that, they came up empty-handed. The king shrugged off their failure, however. He was about to become much too concerned about Zelda and his upcoming child. Within three months after the search, the queen had been experiencing terrible abdominal pain, and she had been bedridden the entire period. Everyone was worried about her and her unborn child, including Kohga.

It was shocking to most, but Kohga genuinely cared about Zelda's wellbeing. He, in addition to staying by her side and providing company, brought her the strongest pain-killing remedies the kingdom had to offer. He made sure she was as comfortable as possible, also giving her plenty of space if she asked for it. Zelda was very suspicious of him at first, but being bedridden doesn't leave one many opportunities for protest. Even so, she never truly came to trust her political partner in her weakened state.

The last few months of pregnancy were not kind to Zelda. Nothing life-threatening, just enough full-body pain to make Daruk cry and beg for his mommy. Not that she noticed. the medicine the doctor provided gave great relief; though truly Zelda longed for Mipha's healing. She longed for the champions in general, even Revali. She longed for her husband, her children, the way things used to be... Zelda was so drugged to sedate the pain, she practically floated through those last months. To her, they seemed merely a day. Her dreams were vivid and often wild. She would later blame this part of her pregnancy for the loss of a small bit of sanity. No one could take drugs that strong and not have some damage to their brains.

The queen was shaken from her strange state with a sharp, stabbing pain. She screamed, feeling as though something was tearing her nether regions apart. The doctor nearly burst down the door trying to get to her. Kohga tried to follow him, but was blocked by a nursemaid. The women told him to wait outside, so he stormed off.

"Hmph. Kick me out... Fine." Kohga decided he had to find something he could to do to take his mind off things.

Hours later, he was called from his meditation to meet the new child. Kohga entered Zelda's room to be met with a terrible sight. Terrible for him, that is.

"Well, that was rather anticlimactic. Still, you're going to be quite dramatic when you grow; I can tell." Zelda cooed to the newborn on her chest, choosing to ignore the king. It was a tiny baby girl, about the length of Zelda's forearm. A little tuft of blonde hair sprouted from the top of her little head, quivering under the rush of air from Zelda's heavy breathing. The baby began to whine and fuss. "Mmm, I suppose you're hungry little one? Very well." Kohga averted his eyes as Zelda lifted her daughter to pull the blanket from her breasts. She placed her daughter in position, and once the baby was feeding she covered herself again.

"Ahem." Kohga, still busy studying the very interesting oil lamp in the corner, suddenly felt incredibly embarrassed. Zelda side-eyed him and shrugged. She figured he was better being awkward than staring.

"Well, she's here. I hope you're pleased, because I have no desire to attempt a second!"

"N-no. One... one will do just... just fine." Kohga blushed. Oh how interesting that oil lamp was. Such light, such color! Beautiful! Kohga felt like a moth. Zelda rolled her eyes.

"I assume you wish to name her?" Kohga finally looked away from that dazzling lamp. He was grateful he wore his mask, as she couldn't see him mouth a curse. What he really wished was that Zelda had passed away during the birth, a sure sign that his incantation worked. His plan could have moved forward then. Now, he had hit a huge wall with no way around. He sighed inwardly; that's what you get when your whole plan hinges on a dumb old spell/poem that failed almost every time.

"Yes. Let me see her." Kohga averted his eyes once again towards his favorite lamp while Zelda did her thing. She cleared her throat when the baby was ready. The Yiga king carefully lifted the little princess from her mother. He looked the baby over, names swirling in his brain. The infant blinked her little eyes open. When he locked eyes with the baby, everything clicked. There was a little stork bite on her nose that reminded him of his mother's favorite jewel; she had gifted it to him on his birthday the week before her passing (through a Molduga's stomach and intestines). A smile formed at the corner of his lip as he held his stepdaughter to his chest. His plan was instantly forgotten.

"So what do you think?"

"Garnet. Princess Garnet sapphire Hyrule. The crown jewel of the royal family." The king's voice caught in his throat. A lone tear slipped from under his mask, landing on his arm. He sat down in the chair by Zelda's bed. "I've never seen a more beautiful child... Ah! She has Link's eyes!"

"I suppose she does. Wait, you don't mind that she resembles your enemy?" Kohga scoffed at her notion.

"I did not hate Master Link, but I had to gain the respect of my men somehow. They were prepared to chase me out after my family's past failures. No, I have actually admired the champions and their loyalty to Hyrule. Opposite teams can hold respect for their adversary." He sighed.

"You have a point." The pair fell silent. Garnet cooed quietly. Kohga removed his mask. Under the lights, Zelda had a rare chance to properly study his face.

His eyes were brown, deeply sunken into his skull. Dark circles underneath sat heavy against his pale skin. His dark hair was slicked back into a tight ponytail at the base of his neck. The very tips of the hair had been dyed red to match his outfit. The symbol of the Yiga had been tattooed on his forehead in a rich crimson color. His ears were pierced with three gold rings each. A rather lage bit of his left ear was missing, from just above his earlobe to right above his ear hole was all that remained. A bit of fuzz haunted his chin and the area under his nose, creating the mere shadow of a manly beard. Kohga was by no means as handsome to Zelda as Link was, but he wasn't truly plain either. Aside from his ear, his skin was unblemished, and perhaps with a proper outfit he'd actually be attractive to someone.

"You're staring."

"I'm studying you. It's rare to see you without something covering your face."

"I wanted her to see." Kohga didn't even bother to act like he was offended. His mind was focused solely on Garnet. She started to squirm and whine. Kohga spoke up in a high-pitched coo. "You wanna go to mama little one? Oh yes, I know! Yes you do!" He kissed Garnet's forehead and gently passed the baby back to Zelda.

"You really like her, hmm?" Zelda was still reeling from how he was with the child. Kohga replaced his mask.

"She's beautiful. I hope she grows up to have your kindness."

"Oh. Thank you."

"Naturally. Now get some rest; I want to take you both to the Temple of Time tomorrow. Her father should get to meet her." The king said. Zelda could almost hear him smiling behind the mask as he left. Her gaze lingered on the door for only a moment before returning to Garnet. She was sleeping with the corner of the blanket in her mouth. Zelda sighed.

"Goddess help me please; because, damn it all, I'm lost."