The Accident

Impa led the champions to a cozy little shack in front of the clothing store. It had a small pond, just big enough for Mipha to be comfortable in, next to it in a fenced area. A cucco coop stood next to the pond. It was empty.

"This is the only house we have available. The previous owner unfortunately passed away of an awful illness a few months back. He supposedly caught it from his cuccos. The birds are gone and everything has been deep cleaned since then. It should be able to meet the needs you three have."

"Looks nice." Daruk commented. Him and the others followed Impa inside. The door was just big enough for him to fit through. The ceilings were high enough for him to stand up tall without hitting his head. The room was bare, save for a fireplace in the corner. There was also a cucco-sized hole in the wall facing the pond. "Just need to set up Zander's stuff, make a nest of rocks for myself, add a couple chairs and a table, and we'll be all set. Right, Mipha?"

"Oh yes. The pond is perfect for me to sleep in. Perhaps if we make that hole a little bigger, I won't have to jump the fence every time I want to go in or out of the area." Mipha said, walking over to inspect the hole. She set her bag next to the fireplace. She invited Urbosa to set her bag down as well. "You three should probably stay the night."

"That's a good idea. It'll be dark soon anyway." Urbosa said, setting her pack next to Mipha's. She took Liz from Revali so he could help set up Zander's crib. Liz would have to either share or sleep in the basket. The girls placed a blanket on the floor set the twins on it so they could play.

"Goo!" Liz squeaked. She practically jumped on her brother knocking them both over. Zander didn't seem to care. He merely lay there and let Liz do her thing. Occasionally, he would coo and she'd ease up for a moment before resuming their little one-sided wrestling match. Urbosa kept an eye on them to make sure they didn't hurt each other.

"Liz, be careful with your brother." She gently reminded the child. Liz stopped, staring intently at Urbosa. She crawled off Zander, who flopped over onto his back and went to sleep. Liz picked up a sandseal to chew on. It tasted like apples. Probably because an apple got smashed inside the bag and got juice everywhere. Delicious.

"Knock knock!" Purah sang from the door. Liz suddenly felt a sharp jolt down her spine. She glared at the door, sensing trouble from their guest. "Hello champions! You all look well. Oh, and look at these little cuties! So small and adorable. Anyway, I have a request for you."

"Hello Purah. How can we help?" Mipha asked.

"Oh, not you dear. Lady Urbosa and Master Revali, I wish to travel with you when you depart. I need to get to Hateno Village too. I could assist you." As Purah spoke, she bent to gently pat Zander on his tummy. Quick as a flash, Liz threw her seal at Purah's face and crawled over in front of her brother. The scientist was caught unawares and stumbled back from the surprise of the impact. "Oh my!"

"Liz, no!" Urbosa said, helping Purah steady herself.

"No! No touch!! Bad!! Bad lady! Not like! I save Zan from bad lady!" Liz thought, making angry cries and squeaks while flailing her hands around. "Go'way!"

"Oh my! Feisty are you?" Purah cooed, patting Liz's head. The child batted her hand away. Purah then made the mistake of picking Liz up. The baby screamed, kicked, hit, bit, even spit up. The champions had never seen her that mad. Zander instantly woke up. He was cranky from being rudely awakened, so he started to throw a fit too. Mipha ran to scoop Zander out of the way as Purah stumbled under Liz's attack. Urbosa practically snatched Liz from Purah when the opportunity presented itself. Liz calmed down almost instantly, clinging to Urbosa and crying softly from exhaustion. Purah, still lacking balance after her assault abruptly stopped, tripped over a loose floorboard and slammed the back of her head hard on the sharp corner of the stone fireplace. You could hear her skull crack through the entire valley. She died instantly.

"Oh Hylia," breathed Impa. Even the twins stopped crying suddenly at the sickening noise. Everyone just stared wide-eyed at the body. There was another thud as Paya fainted again. Revali snapped out of it first, followed by the wails of a very spooked Zander. He clung to Mipha like she was the only safe thing in the room. Liz pawed at the air in her brother's direction.

"Mipha, do you think you can do anything?" Revali asked, bending to examine the body. Mipha shook her head.

"I can't bring people back to life. There's no way in Hyrule she survived a blow like that." The Zora, after managing to pry Zander off her and give him to Urbosa, knelt to examine the body. As she went to turn it over, a sack of rupees and a note tumbled from one of the pockets. "What's this? This note is written in a script I can't read."

"Let me see." Impa said. Mipha handed her the note. "This is in Gerudo."

"Allow me." Urbosa said, placing Liz and Zander, who was still screaming, in the finished crib. Liz moved to hug her brother. Zander calmed down and leaned into her embrace. The twins curled up with each other to sleep. Had the champions been paying attention, they would have found the scene adorable. Urbosa took the note. "It's a riddle. It says "The test of time is hardly fair, but this structure passed with flair. Once proud guardians turned to stone, bring the child, come alone. The place that hangs in Impa's home. Where Link fell so long ago. Slay their caretakers quick and true, three days in that place, we'll await you." It's dated for today. What do you suppose this means?"

"I think it's referring to the painting of fort Hateno in my house." Impa said.

"It's got to be those Yiga clansmen we saw earlier! They were looking for two children."

"But they couldn't have been working with Purah. They would never work with a Shiekah and vice versa." Paya said. Revali scratched his beak.

"Well, I suppose there's only one way to find out. I'll fly out ahead once we're ready to leave. Urbosa, you wait with Liz at the crossroads. I'll fly over that spot and if I see the Yiga, I'll come back and we'll reroute. If not, I'll signal you forward."

"Got it. Good plan, Revali."

"You could also just wait three more days. The note says they won't be there after that, right?" Daruk pointed out. "

"Oh. Right." Revali mumbled, feathers puffing out. "That's fair."

____________________________

Three days later, Purah was buried at the cemetery and Liz, Revali, and Urbosa were prepared to leave. A few sheikah guards followed behind as they left the village. Mipha, Zander, and Daruk watched the group leave from their new porch. It had been a tearful good-bye on the twins' (but mostly Zander's) end. They really didn't want to let each other go. He finally relented when Liz said something in baby talk and patted his arm (albiet forcefully, since she couldn't control her muscles a hundred percent yet.) Zander still looked sad as he watched his sister leave.

"Issy!" He whined. Mipha tried comfort him, pressing a soft kiss to his temple. Zander remained insistent.

"Here's hoping everything goes smoothly." Daruk said.

"Well, at least they have some backup should they need it. Hylia has favored us so far. Let's hope that favor doesn't run out."