The Journey; Night Two

Morning came early at the stable. Mipha found herself being plucked from the water like an unsuspecting fish.

"Hey! Wha- mmph!" Daruk's large hand clapped over her mouth. He held a finger to his lips and shushed her, motioning to the stable house. Two Yiga stood in the doorway. She could hear them talking about finding two infants. Mipha gasped. Daruk let her go and handed her Zander in his basket. "Where are Revali and Urbosa?"

"I saw the Yiga approach on horses and warned them to leave ahead of time. They went out the back with Liz. They said to meet them in Kakariko Village."

"Well then why waste time? Let's go!" The pair quietly made their escape. They managed to catch a horse for Mipha to ride with Zander so Daruk could roll. This way, they would be much faster and hopefully avoid Yiga patrols. It took a second for Mipha to get comfortable, as she had never ridden a horse before, but she adapted quickly. They rode and rolled without stopping once.

Fortunately through all of this, Zander seemed content to just coo every so often and watch the world pass by. About half way through the trip, the cogs in his little brain began to spin.

"Pretty world. Nice horsey. Fast horsey. Am happy. Cozy basket." He thought. He glanced around, admiring the colors. He looked up at Mipha, who noticed and flashed a quick smile for him. Zander giggled. "Mama best. Love Mama. Dada...? Where? Uh oh."

"Not much longer, little minnow," Mipha soothed, seeing Zander go from happy to upset. "I suppose, however, we can rest for a bit if you're hungry."

"Ya! Ya!" Zander forgot about Daruk. He was going to get held and get food at the same time! Two of his favorite things ever, all in one go!

"Alright then. Daruk," Mipha called. The Goron rolled to a stop. He uncurled next to the horse. "Let's rest for a bit and have some lunch. I think we bought ourselves enough of a headstart."

"Yeah, we should be fine; and anyway, you have your spear and I got my Boulder Breaker should we need 'em." He helped Mipha off the horse and led them to a nice shady spot under the Dueling Peaks cliffs. "Good thing Revali had time to separate some of the food supplies for us."

"Oh dear, I forgot to catch some fish before we left." Daruk gave her a questioning look. He dug through the bag to find that she was right; no fish.

"Sorry. We didn't really have a lot of extra time."

"It's alright. I'm not mad, I just... Ooooo." Mipha's eyes went uncharacteristically dark as she stared into the nearby river.

"Mipha? What do you see? Is something wro..." Mipha didn't let him finish.

"Just a minute!" She placed Zander's basket on the ground and raced to the water's edge.

"Mipha! What are you doing!?" Daruk scooped up Zander and watched as she dove in headfirst, disappearing for about five minutes. She resurfaced with a huge hearty bass in her mouth. She had a stamanoka bass in her right, and a mighty carp in her left. She swam back to shore and dropped the fish by their bags.

"Ahem. Sorry for being so abrupt. I haven't had hearty and stamanoka bass since... uh... Actually since I last had dinner with my family." Mipha smiled sadly.

"It's alright. Just next time, try to give me a little heads up before diving in like that." Daruk assured her. He placed a hand on her shoulder. "Come on, let's eat. We don't want to lose our headstart."

"Right." The pair built a small fire to roast the fish and warm some milk and mashed swift carrots for Zander.

They sat for about half an hour, eating and then changing Zander. Once they were finished, they began to pack up. However, just like the night before, Zander refused to go back into his basket. To make matters worse, the horse decided he had better things to do and split. Mipha sighed and shook her head.

"Great. I guess we're walking." Daruk watched the horse go. He thought for a moment.

"Wait! I got an idea! You hold Zander, and I'll carry you and the bags and his basket."

"Are you s.... Whoa!" Daruk had already lifted her onto his shoulder.

"It's no problem. You're lighter than a feather, and the bag is nothing. Now, let's move!"

Daruk wasn't as fast as the horse, but he certainly moved faster than Mipha would have. They made great time as they passed the Dueling Peaks Stable and headed for Kakariko Village. It took them about an hour to reach the village gate. Daruk lifted Mipha from his shoulder. They hesitated to enter so Daruk could stretch for a moment.

"Alright..... Phew.... Here we are! Just in time for dinner."

"Wonderful. Thank you, Daruk."

"Hey, no sweat. How's tiny?"

"He's sleeping." Mipha smiled at the little baby. She kissed his forehead. "Such a precious little boy."

"He sure is. Well, I think we've kept Urbosa and Revali waiting long enough. After you," Daruk said. Mipha nodded and strode through the gate, Daruk following close behind. They immediately spotted the other two champions sitting by a campfire. Liz was sitting next to Urbosa, happily pelting a very annoyed cucco with some small sticks and stones. The cucco couldn't fly away due to the string attached to it's foot that tied it to a nearby tree.

"Liz, come on. Leave the poor thing alone." They heard Urbosa say. She scooped up the girl and brushed away the sticks. "At least aim for something that deserves it."

"Hmmm." Liz thought for a second. She chucked a little rock at Revali, hitting him right in the beak. "Bullseye!" She thought. "Da!"

"Wha-! Liz, no!" Revali sputtered. Urbosa cackled.

"That... Ha!... That wasn't... Hoo... what I meant, Liz. However, you've got good aim."

"You three seem to have settled in nicely," Mipha said as she and Daruk approached.

"Oh there you two are! We were wondering what was taking you guys so long." Revali said. "Join us! Sit down; you must have been walking for quite a bit."

"Yeah, we were. How long have you three been here?" Daruk asked.

"About an hour. We haven't talked to anyone yet; we figured we'd wait for you," Urbosa said.

"Well, we're all here now. Let's at least meet with Impa before it gets dark."

"Good idea. I think the guards are starting to get suspicious of us just sitting here anyway." The girls scooped up the twins and the four of them approached the gateway to the elder's home.

"Halt!" One of the guards demanded. "Lady Paya has asked that no visitors be allowed inside. With all due respect, please leave immediately."

"I'm sorry sir," Revali said, turning up his typical smugness. "But if we don't speak to the elder, it could bring the destruction of Hyrule. In a way, pardon me for being blunt, that would kinda make it your fault. So, unless you want the Yiga to take over completely...."

"Uhm..."

"Also, we have this, given to us by Link to prove our loyalties." Mipha handed Zander to Daruk and pulled out the Sheikah Slate. The guards gasped.

"He... He just gave you the...."

"Yep; he sure did," Revali said smugly. "Need more proof? Urbosa, if you please."

"Feast your eyes!" Urbosa gave Liz to Revali so she could whip out the Master Sword and Hylian Shield. To punctuate their point, the sword pulsed with faint blue light. Liz instantly perked up, but no one noticed.

"I'm terribly sorry! Please, come inside." The guards parted so the group could enter. The girls took back the twins so the men could carry the bags. The champions took a collective deep breath and headed up the steps to the door.