The Journey; An Unforeseen Hiccup

The little band had only traveled for a couple hours since their last stop before Liz started bawling. She was tired, her stomach hurt from eating some sand (before her caretakers could stop her), and she was just in an awful mood. Nothing Urbosa or Revali tried calmed her down. Then Revali got an idea.

"Does anyone have a lute and a pick?" He asked.

"Here. I brought it to try and sell it in Hateno. You can have it." One of the guards said. It was a little worn in the neck, but otherwise in great shape. Revali thanked him, handed him a purple rupee, then, much to Urbosa's surprise, he began to play and sing beautifully. Liz's crying quieted at the sound.

"Let's see here. "The pride of the Rito~ Pillar in the sky, it's heart lights up when the sun is high! Lights up when the sun is high~ The heart shines upon, a path made whole. A warming flame does stir its soul! A flame that stirs it's soul. Hush now dear child, sweet dreams you'll find~ lulled by the Breath of the Wild. A path made whole, flames stir its soul, the heart guides you to your goal! Oh pride of the Rito~ May to it you stay true. Your hopes and your dreams, the heart it will keep! So long as you still believe. Believe~"" Liz yawned, seemingly hypnotized by the music. She cuddled close to Urbosa's chest and began to snore softly. "There. Right to sleep. Works every time."

"I didn't know you could sing like that. Or play a lute. I thought it would be rather challenging with wings and no thumb." Revali smiled at Liz, then shrugged.

"I learned young. I had fallen out of practice in my adult years. Being trapped in Medoh is what eventually got me back into it."

"Where in Hyrule did you get a lute on Medoh?"

"I made one from some extra strings and spare guardian parts. That's beside the point, it was destroyed when I accidentally dropped it off the roof while practicing one night. Anyway, nothing calms a hatchling more than the ancient Rito song. Don't the Gerudo have songs they sing to their children?"

"There's a couple. A ballad of a past battle waged between the Molduga's ancestor and the hero of the winds during the great flood, and I wrote one myself for Zelda when she was little. It stuck and now it's used as a lullaby in most of the town. As far as I know anyway."

"Hmm." Revali situated the lute over his shoulder. A comfortable silence fell on the group as they trekked. Soon, they entered the forest that stood guarding the gates to Hateno. The champions breathed huge sighs of relief; The journey was almost done.

"Halt by order of the king!" Or not. Two Yiga stood blocking the path. "State your business. Now!"

"We're just traveling to Hateno to start a business. My partner has been trained by the best bards across the land to play the sweetest melodies. We're going to sell his services for events and parties." Urbosa said without skipping a beat. She silently thanked Hylia she and Revali had donned some plain clothing and put away their champions' scarves. "I'm to act as his coordinator. You know, organizing his schedule and whatnot."

"I see. What about the child?" The footsolider pointed to Liz.

"She's my stepdaughter!" Revali proclaimed. "My wife is a Hylian, and had been married once before to a classmate of mine. He died of illness. We are meeting her in Hateno."

"Where are you coming from?"

"Visiting my mentor in Kakariko. My wife wanted me to bond with the baby along the way, so we brought her along." The blademaster scowled.

"What reason would a Hylian have to marry an overgrown pigeon? I think you're lying. Prove that you aren't!" Revali didn't bat an eye. He noted a Rito flying overhead through the trees.

"Why don't you follow us to Hateno and see for yourself?" He countered. "We can offer you a place to stay for the night and a nice meal." The Yiga thought for a moment.

"Alright, lead on then."

"Wonderful." Revali looked up to see if the Rito was still there. They had come to rest near the river. "Oh, you must pardon me. It's time for my ritual to honor the champion Revali, my inspiration. This will only take a moment."

"Wha- DEAR GODDESS!" Revali started shrieking like an eagle in heat, flailing his wings and hopping about. Everyone thought he was nuts, but the Rito by the river perked up. Revali, using his odd display, begged the stranger to fly to town and get a lady to help keep the act. Sensing the despairation in Revali's squawks, the Rito hooted to agree. They took to the skies without a moment to lose.

"Ahem!" Revali quickly composed himself, ignoring the group's questioning stares. He preened his feathers and gave a shake to fluff them. "Thank you for waiting. Let's be off."

"Does... Does he do that daily?" Asked the footsolider. Urbosa and Liz looked at each other, then at the Yiga. Whatever Revali had just done, they knew it wasn't for nothing.

"Yep. Every single day...."