The Unexpected Surprise

Meanwhile at Hyrule Castle, things seemed to be going sideways. Zelda had started to feel odd. She kept getting sick in the mornings. She and Kohga weren't sharing a room, so she didn't tell him. She thought it was just a bug. Then again, it wasn't the first time she had these symptoms in the past three months. She was sitting in her room by her chamberpot trying to rationalize.

"What could be happening? I haven't felt this way since.... Oh dear goddess!" Zelda carefully got up and went quickly to the castle doctor. She was careful to avoid Kohga, who was meeting with the captain of the guard.

"Queen Zelda! How may I assist you, your grace?" The doctor asked as she arrived.

"I'm getting sick in the mornings and I believe I missed my last few cycles. I fear I may be with child!"

"Goodness! When was the last time you had intercourse?"

"About three months before the battle between Link and the King." She remembered that night vividly. The last night she laid with Link before he started doubling his training. She had thought it wouldn't be a long enough period of time between the birth of the twins and then to get her pregnant, but here she was. The doctor nodded and began to inspect her. Indeed, she was three months along.

"Congratulations! We must tell the King the news!"

"No! He may harm the child! He can't know!" Zelda cried.

"Tell him it's his then."

"But we haven't even shared a room, much less a bed! He's going to know the child is Link's! He'll know and he'll kill them!"

"Well now," Zelda whipped around to see Kohga leaning against the doorframe. "Haven't I already told you that I refuse to harm innocent children, Zelda? No, this just makes everything easier for both of us. We both know you weren't looking forward to, ahem, "consummating our wedding." Now, there is no need. They will be my heir regardless of their father."

"... How did you know I was here?" Zelda asked. She was relieved, but also confused. "That was rather convenient."

"I have eyes everywhere, darling. Everywhere, except our personal Chambers and the washrooms that is..."

"Oh. Again, That's rather convenient."

"Indeed it is. Anyway, take care of yourself and the child. Anything you need is at your fingertips. Just call for me." With that, the King walked off. Zelda and the doctor exchanged looks.

"Well, I have work to do upstairs. Thank you sir."

"Of course, your majesty." Zelda smiled at the man, and started up the stairs.

______________________________

Later that night, while everyone slept soundly, Kohga snuck into Zelda's room. He carefully pulled back her covers and placed a hand on her stomach. He mumbled something; a strange purple aura pouring from his hand into her.

"O great king of darkness hear this call, rise again once and for all. As I speak the curse and blight, you placed upon the hero of light. "An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!" Let your vessel be this child, for they shall never be exiled. O great Demise take on this form, and to Zelda thou art born. Child of the hero, Hylia's chosen knight. Child of the queen with her blood and power O'er the light. The Triforce of power fall into the hands, of the child that will one day rule O'er this land!" Kohga sighed as he finished the spell. He hoped it would work. His father had tried it with no success. Zelda stirred, scaring him senseless. She sat up, looking slightly frightened and confused.

"Kohga? What are you..."

"Please don't be afraid. I only came to check in on you dear. I just wanted to be sure you were alright."  His voice was soft, gentle. "Go back to sleep, Zelda."

"Mmm. Alright." Zelda was suspicious, but too tired to care.

"Pleasant dreams. See you in the morning." Kogha slowly backed out of the room. He closed the door, sighing as he walked. "I hope to Ganon this spell works. My whole plan hinges on it."