14. Date Night in Zaofu

It had been so long since Korra and Asami last saw each other, and after all the commotion that took place earlier that day, they decided to start over. So they agreed to go on a date somewhere in Zaofu, away from the Beifong residence and everyone.

They spent the hours before nightfall alone together. Korra was out on the veranda of her room leaning on the balustrade and looking out into horizon at the undulating hills and shiny metal abodes peppering this small city of modern comforts.

Asami was back in the room brushing out her hair. It was wild from blowing higgledy-piggledy in the wind and from the crying and making up with Korra and confronting Kuvira. She knew she acted irrationally, but something in her snapped about Kuvira. The other feeling that surprised her was how she was slightly turned on by Korra's confession. She had never thought of Kuvira that way, but now that she thought about it, Kuvira was strinkingly handsome. Korra couldn't be blamed for what happened. What's done is done. What's done cannot be undone.

She looked back at Korra staring out in the abyss again and smiled, having come up with a bright idea. Sauntering off to the kitchen, she boiled some water the old-fashioned way and made Korra a pot of calming jasmine tea which she carefully carried back to their room and out onto the patio.

"Hey, I thought you could use some tea to warm your bones," Asami said.

Korra averted her gaze from the pinks and oranges of the setting sun streaking the clouds and grinned at Asami, who was as beautiful as ever.

"Thank you. It's just what I need," Korra said, taking the cup and sipping it slowly.

Asami joined in and they leaned against the balustrade with their arms touching, sipping tea and enjoying the sunset together.

"You ready for our date tonight? Or do you just want to stay in and, you know?" Korra said.

Asami considered for a moment. Both sounded nice, especially the last part. But she wanted to have Korra to herself for a few hours away from the Beifongs. And she wanted the public to see who her sweetheart really was.

"Let's go out," Asami said. "Dancing?" She expected Korra to dismiss the dancing but surprisingly, she responded with:

"Let's do it."

*

They were all jazzed up, Asami looking as snazzy as ever and Korra wearing a glitzy water-tribe ensemble.

Korra led Asami to the train and saw that her girlfriend minded the gap before stepping in. She was being extra chivalrous though not imposing.

They sat alone in the car as it shuttled them to downtown Zaofu.

The night sky was bespeckled with paper lanterns floating up toward the abyss; some kind of festival was going on, and Korra and Asami walked arm in arm amidst a flurry of outdoor vendors and kids running around playing nighttime games.

People recognized them here and there.

"Mommy look, it's the Avatar," a small voice belonging to a little pigtailed girl managed to perk up through the crowd. She was carrying around a plush toy of Korra in ponytails and Southern Water Tribe garb. The girl's mother held her daughter and waved at Korra and Asami, who smiled and waved back.

Another voice sounded, no doubt a young male. "The Avatar! And isn't that Asami Sato? What a dame! Two lucky women right there!"

The two lucky women pretended not to notice this comment but smiled at each other in silent agreement. They strolled this way awhile until happening upon a small nightclub, not the swanky type, but the lowdown chill kind.