26. Dark Avatar, Light Avatar

Note: It's a heavy day here in the U.S., but I'm pressing on. It's going to get a little dark here, but we're building toward the epic endgame.

***

Korra went to watch Bolin do one of his street performances with Pabu and special guest Sanyu at the Firelord Zuko statue in Republic City Square. Zuko's massive metal likeness held the eternal flame aloft as Bolin and Pabu did their warm up stretches at the base; they both wore fake mustaches to add an air of charming mystery. Sanyu crossed her arms and leaned on one hip, reveling in their silliness and strange customs.

Mako was already there, rolling his eyes at his brother. Aside from Korra and passersby, he was their only audience.

"Get this over with Bolin." Mako looked at his watch.

"Shhh. Talent takes time," Bolin said, unaffected by his brother. He twirled his fake mustache. "Besides, isn't it your day off? I can tell because your hair is all 'poof' at the front again."

Bolin knew his brother too well. Mako patted his hair carefully. To get this casual look took lots of care and moose.

Korra and Sanyu shared a knowing look. The brothers were cute together. Had to admit that.

"So, no Asami?" Bolin looked around to see if she was merely arriving late.

"Nope, sorry buddy; she's caught up," Korra said.

"Wow, that woman doesn't stop! That's why I'm really feeling the life of an air nomad. The whole 'time to enjoy the present' thing really gets me here." Bolin patted his heart and looked at Sanyu, who blushed beneath her ebony skin.

"Maybe we should get started then eh?" she said.

"Right!" Bolin clapped his hands together and cleared his throat. "Gather round folks (folks being Mako and Korra) to witness the one, the only Pabu! C'mon little buddy; do your thing!"

Pabu did flips and spins along a pre-made obstacle course, his fluffy orange and red-striped tail curving to the movements, until he finished his routine and collected a treat waiting for him in Bolin's hand.

"All right Pabu!" Bolin said, more excited about his companion's feat than anyone else there. He was his Fire Ferret's number one fan.

They all clapped and Pabu bowed.

Next came the new routine, the one Bolin had rehearsed with Sanyu. For dramatic effect, he ripped off his top layer of clothing to reveal a jumpsuit resembling his swim attire, his bouldering muscles rippling through the fabric. He flexed and smiled and winked, cowlick dangling at his forehead.

Korra laughed. Bolin imitated strong guys, but he was also one of them. And strong guys didn't always have to show their strength by making others submit, by putting them down. They could lift things – and people – up too. So, that's what Bolin did.

He earthbended two perfectly round stone boulders, artistic fixtures and monoliths that had taken a team of benders to transport and mold. The spherical stones moved toward him, and Korra and Mako ducked their heads out of the way before the boulders stopped suddenly in front of Bolin. He lifted them like heavy reps, then juggled them high in the air, eventually bringing one more stone into the rotation.

Steadying himself, he sent the boulders back from where they came, using postures he picked up on the street and through pro-bending rather than traditional tiger crane movements. When this was done, he settled the chi within himself with his hands moving slowly downward as he exhaled slowly through his nose.