Chapter 22 - "It's groundhog day..."

Part of me wanted to smack the shit out of him for even daring to mention the last time I saw the siblings. But another part of me, the one who still longed for Damien's touch and his voice and especially that long-forgotten kiss, took control. 

I moved to stand up completely - Dark towered over me, but I didn't care - and grabbed the front of his suit, pulling him down and into a quick kiss, much to his surprise. As quickly as I had initiated, I pulled away and stumbled back a bit, dazed.

I just did that.

I just did that?

Did I really just do that?

Oh, God, I did that.

Oh, God, he's gonna kill me.

I stared up at Dark, who was staring down at me like a deer in headlights, clearly not expecting the kiss.

"...I'm just gonna-!" I didn't even finish my sentence before I turned tail and bolted.

The void seemed to thicken around me, and my original running speed was reduced to a crawl. It was like running through syrup. There was a loud crack, like the sound of bone snapping, and I suddenly felt Dark's arms coil around my waist and pull me backward, my back hitting his chest with enough force to make me jackknife a bit.

"And just where," he growled, his lips against my ear, "do you think you're going?" I swallowed hard, trembling a bit as my curly brown hair fell into my eyes.

"...back to the heist?" I suggested. Dark's grip tightened.

"You aren't going anywhere until you explain yourself." I swallowed hard.

"I...I just worked off my instincts. It was stupid, yeah, but hey, better late than never." He was silent for a moment before he let out a low, gravely sigh that seemed to reverberate through my bones and pressed an almost tender kiss to my jawline, his stubble roughly tickling my skin.

"Damn you," he muttered. "Damn you and your human instincts."

"What do you-?" I was cut off by his finger against my lips.

"Shhh. Silence. You've made your point and, if you stay here any longer, I can't promise that you'll be able to go back in one piece. One more loop, then you get your answers."

One more loop.

So we were in a time loop.

"...deal."

Dark let go of me and brushed his hand through my hair. Once he completely pulled away, I reached up and was surprised to feel the soft petals of a rose beneath my fingers.

"Something to remember me by," he said coyly.

The smile he gave me made my cheeks warm up. It wasn't Dark's usual cold smile. It was warmer, sweeter, and seemed to finally reach his eyes. It was clear whose smile that was. It was clear who was in control, as of right now.

"Damien..." I whispered, tearing up. He reached out and gently booped my nose, smiling fondly.

"Amelia," he whispered. "You should get going. I'll see you soon, my little monster."

I smiled shyly in reply as the void closed in around me. With a loud crack, like lightning striking, I reappeared in front of the museum, still wearing my heist outfit - this time with a white rose nestled in my brown hair - and slowly stared up at the entrance, wiping my teary eyes.

"It's groundhog day," I murmured, striding over to the building with a newfound purpose and determination in my eyes.

It was time to end this cycle.

It was time to break the loop.

It was time to face my fears, face my foes, and roar them down with the fury of a thousand beasts.

It was time to be the goddamn hero for once.