Chapter 7 - The best security guard

"...okay? I'll...be doing my job," I muttered, shaking my head and walking down the path the second guard had gone down. Not too far down it, I suddenly heard loud snarling and saw the shadow of a snout on the lit wall. I swallowed hard and stepped back looking around for any sort of animal, only to be met with the sight of a large dog wearing a security uniform. One of the keys to the vault was hanging off the side of their vest.

"Awww! Hi, baby!" I cooed, kneeling down and holding out my gloved hand for the dog to sniff. The dog leaned closer, sniffed my hand, then began to lick it, her tail wagging excitedly. I cooed softly to her and pet behind her ears for a few moments before pulling the steak out of my bag and offering it to her. She sniffed the steak and immediately took it, and I took the opportunity to take the key off of her vest.

"Good girl!" I whispered, standing up. The dog happily scampered off deeper into the museum with the steak in her mouth.

There was another clang and scream, and I slowly turned around to see Mark falling from the walkway above me again. I rolled my eyes as he walked over and showed him the key I had retrieved from the security dog.

"Oh, you got a key," he said excitedly, holding up his own key and grinning. "I got one, too. Come on. I think these are what we need to get in that vault." We walked over to the security locks on each side of the vault and inserted the keys.

"Oh, this is it. You ready? Now on three. One–"

I turned my key, reveling in the confused look on Mark's face as the vault buzzed.

"What the hell? Ah, whatever." He turned his key as I did the same, and after a chime of confirmation, the vault door slid open.

"After you," Mark said giddily.