Chapter 12 - Rule number one of a horror movie: never split up

As darkness surrounded us again, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. It looked like another person, outlined in red and blue, and the air around me seemed to reverberate as a low, sinister chuckle echoed through it. Before I could even try and say something, Mark and I were suddenly in a lighter, albeit a little more cramped tunnel, with no sign of the figure anywhere.

"What the fuck was that...?" I whispered, looking around a bit in an attempt to really get my bearings. Mark looked back at me and raised an eyebrow, clearly confused or concerned, then jumped in surprise as a whisper echoed around us.

"We are evil. We will kill you."

It definitely didn't sound like the voice I had heard before. This one was raspier in contrast to the smooth, almost sultry baritone that I heard in my mind. I swallowed hard and shifted to stand almost completely behind Mark - bad idea, I know - and nudged him forward.

"Only way to go is forward, my good man," I said. He nodded and started to walk forward, only to whip back around as another whisper of "We are evil. We will kill you" echoed through the tunnel. He looked to be on the verge of panicking.

"Do you hear that?" He asked. "Eh, probably nothing. Okay, come on." He was feigning bravery. I could tell.

"We are evil. We will kill you."

"Oh, hey. Hey! Look at this." That got my attention. Mark gestured for me to follow as he slipped into a much less cramped hallway. There was a red door at the end of it, as well as another area off to the right.

"Uh oh," I mumbled. "Another split path."

"You see what I see?" He asked. " 'cause I see an exit. All right, oh, uh..."

"We are evil. We will kill you."

"Okay, I see, um, I see two exits, which means that we really gotta split up now."

He gave me a rather disturbing grin, then seemed to drop the act and took one of my hands in his, squeezing it.

"Oh, come on! It'll be fun. Or it'll be easier at least. We'll just split up for ten minutes. We'll meet back up here in no time. Everything will be hunky-dory. You like hunky. You like dory. It'll be great." I shook my head.

"Rule number one of a horror movie, my friend: never split up," I said. "We're staying together." Mark pouted and grumbled a bit.

"Oh, you suck," he muttered. I glared at him with as much authority as I could muster, but his back was already to me. I walked over to the red door, intent on opening it, but was suddenly bathed in the light from Mark's flashlight. I jumped in surprise and looked around, noticing that our surroundings had changed again.

"Yeah. I don't like the look of this. Stick close. Stay low," he murmured.