Chapter 16 - Splitting up

I looked over at Mark, who was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

"Oh, no," he chuckled, stepping closer to me and making me immediately take a step back. I didn't like that look in his eyes. It was almost deranged. "I guess we gotta split up for, uh..." he tossed his flashlight in the air and caught it. "...safety reasons~" I shook my head a bit, causing him to pat my shoulder.

"Aww, come on. It'll be fine. I'll go down, scout ahead, and I'll let you know if any problems come up. And you go back and check to see if anybody's following us. It'll be perfect. Yeah. Come on. For safety." I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and got that strange feeling that I was being watched again. I swallowed hard and shifted my weight from foot to foot, only to be thrown out of my thoughts by the entity's voice crooning into my ear.

"Come to me, Amelia~"

My face drained of any and all color it had. I'd be able to get my answers...if I split up.

"Alright, fine!" I snapped, trying to regain my composure. "Just stop fucking pressuring me." Mark fist pumped in victory.

"Yes! Okay! Awesome! All right, okay. This is gonna be great. And don't you worry about a thing because our watches are still synchronized," he said cheerfully. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I still didn't have a watch. "That means we're gonna meet back up here in exactly five minutes, no matter what happens. So: you go down that tunnel-" he pointed to the passage behind me. "-I'll go down this tunnel, and if you see anything, and I mean anything out of the ordinary, you just turn that sweet little tuchus around and--"

I heard the clatter of a flashlight hitting stone and whipped around in fear.

Mark had disappeared.

Only his flashlight remained.