Chapter 21 - Confessions

"So...if Mark's parading around in Damien's body and calls himself Mark...then what are you?" I asked. "What do you go by? Because it can't be Damien, nor can it just be the Entity. You have a name."

"Names are a powerful thing, sweet Amelia," he cooed, clasping his hands behind his back. Before I could fire off a snappy retort, he continued speaking. "But, since you came all the way here, just to find me, I suppose I could oblige you, just this once. An act of apology, if you will."

"Apology? For what?" I raised an eyebrow. He chuckled lowly.

"For sealing you in the mirror and discarding your body, what else? You weren't forced out to save your soul, sweet thing. I forced you out because, to be frank, you didn't blend with the other two. Their darker sides were perfectly in line with me, but you were just...so pure. So righteous. You wouldn't have fit even if you tried."

Darker sides.

Darkness.

"...Dark? Is that your name?" I asked slowly. The entity - Dark - straightened himself almost proudly, giving me a grin.

"Look at you, so smart!~ I knew there was a reason why Damien fancied you."

"He...he what?"

That was new. That was really new.

"Oh, he never got to tell you," he said, patting the top of my head almost mockingly. "You remember those little pet names he used to call you, don't you?"

I blinked once. Pet names...pet names...

"...now that you mention it, he did call me his little monster a few times," I said. "But I just chalked it up to him noticing how crazy I get when I'm drunk. I mean, the last time he saw me completely hammered was the first night in the manor. Before everything fell apart..."

Dark walked over to me and cupped my cheek in his hand, looking down at me almost sympathetically.

"He wanted to tell you," he murmured. "He wanted to tell you, but knew that the time wasn't right."

I felt a few tears spring to the corners of my eyes.

"I really cared about him. He was...he was wonderful. So sweet, so kind...just the perfect person to work with and be around."

"And he felt the same way about you. He was ready to kiss you in the Upside Down, you know. Before his sister interrupted your moment, he would have kissed you right then and there." He caressed my cheek for a moment, then dropped his hand and straightened up, brushing himself off.

"Unfortunate, isn't it?" He hummed.