Chapter 1 - Shot through the heart (and into the void)

"It was an accident! I swear!"

Those were the last words I heard. My body fell backward, over the railing, and I was suddenly in freefall. It didn't last long, though. Before I could even comprehend how far my fall was, my body slammed into the tiled floor and my vision went black. The last sound I heard? A sickening crack. I was certain that the back of my skull had either shattered or imploded.

...

I awoke in a void. Darkness surrounded me. I looked down and noticed that not only was my suit monochrome and devoid of the blood that should have been staining it - I had just been shot, after all - but my skin was the same way. I blinked once, and the void seemed to warp around me. I noticed two flickering blobs of color. One was blue. The other? Red. I slowly managed to move my limbs and approach them. The blobs of color suddenly morphed into people, but not just any people. Two people I recognized.

"...Damien?" I questioned. "Celine?"

The mayor jolted in surprise and whipped around to face me. He looked just as composed and put-together as I had last seen him, save for a few stray strands of hair that hung in his eyes. The seer looked at me like she was seeing a ghost. Which, judging by my monochromatic state, I probably looked like one. The two siblings looked at each other for a moment, communicating strictly with their eyes - a talent I myself also possessed, what with being the youngest of three siblings - and before I could open my mouth and speak again, Celine held up her hand.

"Look, I know you have questions, and I can't answer everything right now," she said. "Just know that Mark took everything from us in his twisted quest of vengeance." I blinked at her, confused. Vengeance? She pursed her lips and interlaced her fingers before continuing. "But death does not mean the same thing here." Damien raked his hair back, pushing the stray strands away before turning to me.

"What Celine means by that is... This doesn't have to be the end. You're still trapped in here the same as us, but your body is still out there. Broken as it may be, it's still out there." He said, gesturing to me. I placed one hand on where my bullet wound should have been. Right on my chest. Right on my heart. I vaguely realized that my body was indeed still laying where it had landed, but after a moment of thinking, I shook my head.

"It's useless," I said. "I'm dead for fuck's sake." Celine chuckled a bit and reached out, patting my shoulder with one gloved hand. She felt solid.

"Mark's not the only one who can use this place to his benefit," she said. "The same way I brought you here is the same way that I can send you back." I gaped at her.

"So...you brought me here? To save my soul?" I asked. She made an 'ehhh?' noise and shrugged slightly, dragging her bottom lip between her teeth. Damien stepped closer, placing his hand on my other shoulder. He, too, felt solid, and I felt a surge of warmth shooting from both of their hands into my body.

"But you can't survive on your own. You're dead, after all. My friend, the Colonel sought to that..." He sounded bitter. Celine shook her head, her voice tinged with pain and concern.

"You can't blame him. Honestly, he's a good man... But he's dangerous now." Damien and I sighed in unison.

"How do I know that any of this is even real? This sounds absolutely-" I was cut off by Damien squeezing my shoulder.

"I know this all sounds crazy. Honestly, I don't know what the fuck is going on," he chuckled sheepishly, "but I know that I trust Celine. And if you trust us..." He placed his free hand against my cheek, turning my head to face him.

"Just let me in. We can fix this. Together." He whispered. I blinked at him, my eyes wide. If I could still blush, I would have. Who'd have thought that I, the District Attorney, would be within kissing distance of the Mayor of all people? After a moment of simply staring at him, Celine whistled and snapped her fingers from outside my peripheral vision, finally motivating me to tear my gaze away from Damien and look over at her.

"I won't force this upon you. You have a choice here," she explained. "Just know this is the only way that you can escape. So what do you say? Do you trust us?" She held out her hand. I took a slow, long, deep breath. I didn't want to be stuck in this void. I wanted to be back in my body.

I suddenly felt something burning inside me. Like how people say that they feel the flames of desire. Well, desire wasn't what I was feeling. It was something more...malicious. I wanted revenge. I wanted revenge on Mark for putting the three of us in this situation. I steeled my jaw and grabbed her hand.

"I trust you both," I said coldly. She gave me a small smile.

"Just relax," she said gently. Damien placed his hand on my shoulder, having walked up behind me, and gently squeezed it.

"This'll work. I promise," he whispered. I closed my eyes and felt myself get almost launched backward, just like I had when I fell to my death.