Chapter 4 - The heist begins

...

A few days of being alive later, I ran into an old enemy.

Or, at least, someone who reminded me of an old enemy.

They were dead ringers for each other, the Actor - that bastard - and this new guy, Mark. We had talked - well, he did most of the talking. I just nodded and played along - and not too long after that, I had landed in my current situation. I peered through the bush I was crouched in, waited until the security guard had passed by, then exited the bush and looked up at the building in front of me. It was a large museum. I had never seen anything like it, even when I was alive. I took a slow, deep breath - damn, it felt good to do that again - and pulled out the grapple gun my partner had saddled me with.

Stepping back, I aimed up at the ledge that was above me and pulled the trigger, sending me flying into the air. I landed on the rooftop with catlike grace and made my way over to an air duct, removing the cover and crawling inside. I was a little surprised that I had managed to do this but chalked it up to my new skinny frame. I slowly crawled through the ducts - eat your heart out, Ethan Hunt - and dropped down onto a walkway where my partner had instructed us to meet.

As I slowly looked around, taking in my new surroundings, I suddenly heard a Tarzan yell and the sound of glass shattering. I whipped around, raising my gun in defense, only to breathe a soft sigh of relief as my partner landed on all fours down in front of me.

"All right, we're in," he said, shifting to stand in a crouch and brushing himself off. "You know the plan, right?" I opened my mouth to speak before being cut off by a short snicker. "What am I saying? You practically wrote it. Everything you need is in your bag, so let's synchronize our watches on three." My eyes widened. He never mentioned needing a watch! Before I could say anything, he pressed the button on his watch.

"Three! Perfect. Now, stick to the plan and you'll be just fine," he said, then glared at me almost authoritatively. "But if you deviate from it for even a single moment, I won't come back for you." I gaped at him. He couldn't be serious, right? Maybe this guy and that rat bastard were the same people after all... He then gave me a grin and pulled out his grapple gun, standing up.

"Okay? Good luck!"

And with that, he was off.