Chapter 14 - A dove in a cage

As we walked, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Do you know how sometimes you can feel when someone's staring at you? I felt that sensation all around me. I shivered a bit and tried to stay close to Mark, but could barely see him, even with his flashlight.

"Amelia~"

I stopped dead in my tracks. There was that voice again. That deep, sultry, smooth voice that seemed to envelop me and, admittedly, send a few spikes of heat down to my core.

"...you know my name?" I whispered.

"Of course I do. I know exactly who you are, dear, sweet, Amelia~ Your new body doesn't do you enough justice~"

"Who are you? Where are you?"

"Shhh..." I flinched, feeling warm breath against my ear, almost as if the owner of the voice was right beside me. "All will be revealed in time, little dove."

Before I could say anything more, the darkness began to recede and I could hear Mark's voice. It was slightly muffled as if I was waking up from a deep sleep, but before I tuned in completely to what my partner was saying, I heard the voice speak again, this time lower in pitch than before.

"See you soon~"

Shivering, I immediately moved closer to Mark, who was babbling away.

"I love life and living life. Life is good."

There was a whisper of "we will kill you" from somewhere deeper in the tunnel. We had emerged onto a walkway and were currently crouching down to avoid being seen.

"All right, come on. Stay close," Mark's whisper jolted me out of my daze. "We gotta be getting close to an exit somewhere. I peered over the railing, trying to see if there was anything beneath us, then stiffened as I heard a creak and Mark yelping. "Woah. Woah, woah!"

"WOAH!" I screamed. Mark sprinted forward, I fell back, and the middle portion of the walkway fell down into the depths below.

"Uh, okay," he sighed, both of us wincing as the clang of the walkway echoed through the air. "That was close, uh, but we made it. And it looks like we'll have to split up after all, so that's doubly good. Uh, you go that way-" he pointed behind me at the darkness we had just come from. "-I'll go--wait!" I cut him off by leaping over to his platform and smiling sweetly at him. He stared at me like I had seven heads, then nodded a bit and gestured for me to follow him.

"Good job. Great. Good job. Thank you. That's great."