Chapter 13

"Did you know that giraffes are born without a voice box?" Kylee asked, only her seventy-fifth question of the car ride.

There is still 1 hour and 46 minutes to go according to my truck's GPS.

"I wish you didn't have a voice box right now," I quietly muttered, turning into the far left lane of the seven-lane highway.

"I heard that," she rolled her eyes, scrolling through her music to look for a new song.

I shook my head, focusing on the road ahead of me.

"Women blink nearly twice as much as men,"

"How do you know this stuff?" I asked.

"I don't know," she shrugged, playing a new song on her phone.

The Weight by Shawn Mendes.

"Audrey where are your headphones?" Matt spoke up, locking eyes with mine as I peered at him through the rear-view mirror.

"They should be in one of the pockets of the seat," I giggled. "Is the music that bad?"

"Worse," he shook his head.

Once again, Ky just rolled her eyes.

I chuckled as I drove along and listened to the music.

We sat in silence for several minutes before Ky randomly turned off the stereo and turned to face Matt.

"Did you really get my sister pregnant?" She asked him in all seriousness.

"I did," he said lightly.

She shook her head, turning back around.

Okay then?

Awkward silence stretch between us for the remainder of the ride.

"Do you want me to drop you off at the entrance and meet you in there?" I asked Ky once we neared the airport entrance.

First words spoken in almost two hours.

"Just park." She demanded, folding her arms across her chest.

Now she's in one of her moods. Just great.

"Yes ma'am," I rolled my eyes, swinging in line to pay for parking.

I reached behind the passenger's seat, grabbing my purse for my wallet.

"Good afternoon, parking is $35 today." The man in the booth said as we pulled up.

I pulled a fifty dollar bill out of my wallet and passed it to the man.

He did whatever, figiting with the register and handed me a ten and a five back.

"Thank you, have a great night." He smiled in dismissal.

I smiled in return, driving towards the parking lot.

We drove around a few minutes before I found a parking spot, quickly swinging into it.

"Ready?" I asked, unbuckling my seat belt.

"Let's go," Kylee sighed, climbing out of my truck.

Matt and I got out and I locked the truck up, following her.

"Aren't you excited for Blake to meet the family?" I asked her as we fell into step, walking towards the airport entrance.

"Of course I am," she smiled, looking over into my general direction. "He's great, you're gonna love him."

Finally, a smile. Better than nothing I suppose.

I felt Matt's warm hand slip into mine as we followed behind Kylee.