Chapter 22

"Yes, that formation is better." I nodded, placing my hands on my hips. "America as left baseman now please,"

They did as instructed, switching positions. I examined each and every girl on their formations and performances. Overall, they did pretty well.

But something is missing.

"Okay nope, I can't do this." Kimmy groaned, climbing down off the pyramid.

"Why?" I asked curiously. "Everything okay?"

I grabbed my crutches and wobbled over to her and the rest of the squad.

"No," she declined, placing her hands on her hips. "Nothing is okay, we suck without you."

I shook my head, lost for words.

"No you don't," I managed to say, shaking my head. "We just need to be more comfortable with the lock and hold positions."

"We're fine with our positions, we just need you to complete us." Sage said with a shake of her head. "When are you gonna be back?"

I let out a bit of a nervous laugh. "Uh, when I'm no longer on crutches."

Sage and Kimmy gave me a sympathetic gaze.

I can't run a squad, deal with a drug-taking boyfriend, complete classes, deal with the stress of a broken leg, prepare for twins, and worry about taking care of myself at the moment.

Which gives me an idea.

"Kimmy and Sage can I speak to you alone for a sec?" I asked, waving them over. "Girls take five."

The rest of the squad broke apart of the formation, chatting amidst themselves.

"I have an idea," I informed them. "How would you guys like to co-captain the squad?"

They both looked at me with dropped jaws and wide eyes.

"Audrey," Kimmy shook her head. "You're serious?"

"As a heart attack," I agreed, nodding. "I have a lot going on right now and it kills me not to be able to perform with you guys. So I think it's perfect for now."

"For how long?" Sage asked.

"Just until my leg heals," I answered, shifting on my crutches. "I should be as good as new on about seven weeks. After that, I will rightfully take back my position."

"Just in time," Kimmy nodded. "Competition is in about nine weeks."

I nodded, sipping on my water.

"So what do you say?" I asked. "I'll still come to practices and help out. But the squad is in your hands until I'm ready."

"Yes, of course." Kimmy said as Sage smiled, "We would love to."

I gently hugged them both from the side.

We announced the captain exchange to the rest of the squad and wrapped up practice for the day.

~*~

"Matt are you okay?" I asked, slipping my fingers through his as we met outside the locker rooms.

"Yeah," he slowly nodded. "Why?"

"Just wondering," I shrugged, playing it off.

"Are you?" He chuckled, kissing the back of my hand.

"Yes."

Chase caught up with us, slinging an arm around my shoulder. Which was very uncomfortable as I was standing with crutches.