But I Like Strawberry Jam, And You Don't

Začať od začiatku

No. My insides are burning because some beautiful and perfect woman had her hands all over you and declares she wants to spend the day with you like you're hers. 

When I had begun to think you're mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I smiled half-heartedly, and he was about to ask me something further, but Amy called out for him and he placed a light kiss on my forehead before walking off to where she was.

Suddenly, I'm without a friend and a fake boyfriend. A small tug on my hand made me look down, only to see big brown eyes glinting with adoration as they looked up at me.

"Hey, buddy," I smiled, bending down so Axel's face is level with mine.

"Are you leaving?" He asked, looking sad and pouting slightly.

"No, Axel. I'm here," I said, and he smiled a bright smile.

"Can we play?" He asked, looking at me hopefully.

"Sure," I reply, but a voice squeals from behind us.

"Is that my baby Axel?" Amy gushes and I internally bury a hole for myself to slide into and hide.

There goes Axel.

"Hi there, kiddo," she reached her arms out for him, but he blinked up at her.

"Are you okay, Axe? I heard everything, and like Xavi, Amy will protect you too okay?" She cooed, bending forward to reach his height. Axel slightly backed up and frowned.

"I'm gonna play," he mumbled, twiddling with his fingers.

"Of course, Axe, let's go play. Me, Xavi, Alaia and you. How about that?"

Wow Amy, subtle much?

"No. Me and Val-val," he said, wrapping his hand around two of my fingers securely. The small gesture made my heart soar, my inner bitch wanting to tell Amy to suck it.

"Wow, he really likes you," Amy says, a slight hint of rejection in her tone.

"Yeah, well, Axel and I have a special connection, yeah bud?" I ask and he nods vigorously, while I chuckle at his adorable expression.

We walked to the breakfast room, and Axel climbed onto my lap. He pointed to the strawberry jam for his bread and I smiled since it was my favourite too.

"You were right about having a connection with Axel, Valentina. Alex and I, we love the blueberry one. Alex would never even touch the bread if it had strawberry jam on it as a kid," Amy chuckled, and my face had an expression which thoroughly lacked amusement.

Next time when people think about dating each other, they'll make sure they have the 'jam' conversation in order to determine compatibility.

I prepared two slices of bread with jam for Axel and me, pouring some orange juice for the both of us. Axel happily rocked his small legs back and forth on my lap, taking tiny bites of his food. I smiled at him, happy to see him so carefree and innocent. Xavier's intense gaze was set right on me and I turned towards him, our eyes connected, not daring to blink. Amy found out that Xavier's right bicep was hurt, and she insisted on feeding him his piece of bread. My eyes broke contact and zeroed in on her hand feeding him, and then wiping off the jam from his bottom lip. I probably looked like a woman out to plot murder because Xavier looked at me with sheer amusement. Why is this amusing for him?

Breakfast was over and Alaia's tutor was here, so she was studying in her room upstairs. Xavier and his Amy were laughing and chatting away in the backyard, with Amy frequently touching his bicep, inching closer to him. So they're great friends, since childhood. What should it matter to me?