11. lord voldemort returns

trumpets begin to sound.

the champions and their headmasters stand in between of the crowd of students and the large, dark maze. this was their third and final task to complete. whoever finds and comes back with the triwizard cup, wins the triwizard tournament, earning eternal glory.

elena sits with her now boyfriend, calum as well as alison, luke, ashton, michael and lavender. suddenly, everyone begins cheering as the canon goes off, signaling the start of the last challenge.

"go harry!" ashton cheers, waving his flag as they start entering the maze.

"go cedric!" elena tells, cupping her mouth with her hands.

"go fleur!" luke claps, earning a glare from his girlfriend. "you're cheering for her?" "well yeah. she's behind and no one else is cheering for her. gotta keep those spirits high!" luke smiles.

"hm," michael says, looking at the hufflepuff boy beside him. "you're a pretty odd dude, you know?"

"yep." luke nods, turning his attention back to the maze.

elena looks around the stadium at all of her friends and fellow students cheering on the champions. looking amongst the group she was with, she noticed calum looking a bit queasy. he was biting his lip and shaking his leg, obviously nervous.

"hey it's okay," she tells him, intertwining her fingers with his. "viktor's going to do great, even if he doesn't come in first place." she encourages. calum looks over to her and gives a half-meaningful smile. elena felt bad because whatever was bothering him wasn't going away. right away she began planning a surprise for calum in her head. he was worried that viktor wouldn't win, so if he didn't, she'd make sure to cheer him up.

suddenly, red sparks emerge from deep in the maze and explode in the sky, pulling elena out of her thoughts.

"oh no, who lost?" ashton asks as everyone's eyes were glued to the entrance of the maze. the leaves begin to fold away and fleur walks out of the hedges with the look of disappointment spread across her face.

"aw man." luke frowns.

"it's okay, babe. we really want cedric to win anyways, right?" ali smiles, patting his leg.

"yeah! go hufflepuff!" he says, waving his small yellow flag back and forth.

"I wonder who's closest." michael states, standing up  to try to see into the top of the maze.

elena giggles at his useless efforts then looks to calum again, who looks no calmer. "you okay?" she asks, more concerned. although it was an important competition, she felt like calum may be taking it too seriously.

"yeah yeah I'm good. I'm fine." he nods. elena definitely didn't believe him. but before she could ask him any further questions, two bodies land at the entrance of the maze.

trumpets begin to play again as the students and teachers cheer for harry and cedric who made it back with the triwizard cup.

but those cheers quickly began to die down and turn into screams, for cedric had returned, but it was only because harry brought his lifeless body back.

"cedric!" elena screams, tears filling her eyes.

"oh my gosh..." luke whispers. alison clasps her hands over her mouth, not able to believe what's happened.

everyone silently watches the scene unfold in front of them as amos diggory runs through the crowd to cedric. "that's my son! that's my boy!" he yells.

elena turns away, burying her face in calum's chest. he comfortingly rubs her back. "shh it's okay." he whispers as he feels tears begin to dampen his shirt.

"everyone, back to your dormitories!" mcgonagall announces.

the students begin filing out of the stands and back to hogwarts. the walk from the maze to the castle was quieter than ever. it wasn't until they reached the corridors that ashton finally spoke up to the group of friends.

"I'll um, see you guys tomorrow." he nods, then walks off to gryffindor tower.

michael and lavender say their goodbyes and share a kiss goodnight then go their separate ways, lavender following ashton and michael heading to the ravenclaw common room.

"i'll see you back in the room, okay elena?" ali says, knowing that her and calum will want some alone time.

"okay." she gives a small smile and nods.

luke and alison walk into the hufflepuff common room, leaving elena and calum in the hallway alone.

"how are you?" she asks him.

"me? I should be asking you that, el." calum says with a laugh. he was amazed at even when she was terribly upset, she still put others first.

"I'm okay, shaken up, but okay. I just can't imagine how it must be for you." el says.

calum's heart begin racing. "w-what do you mean for me?" he asks, wondering what she knew.

"I mean, you come all the way to hogwarts from another country to have fun and make friends but instead see a dead body." she explains.

calum sighs, relieved with the idea his girlfriend had. "yeah, it's crazy. I'm just glad it wasn't you," he says, twirling a piece of her hair between his fingers. "imagine if one of us had been chosen to compete. i don't think we would have been able to share all the amazing memories we have."

"oh! that reminds me!" elena smiles. "stay right here." she tells him then goes into the hufflepuff common room.

remembering her plan to cheer him up from earlier, she goes to her room to get a jar. in this jar, she had written down some of her favorite memories with calum. stuff like practicing in the room of requirement together, calum opening up to her about his life and their first kiss. it wasn't much, but she knew calum would love reminiscing over the past few months with her.

after grabbing the jar, elena makes her way down the stairs and back out to the hallway. when walking out of the common room, she noticed that calum was gone.

"cal?" elena calls out, looking around.

"no, hood!" she heard someone say from another corridor. following the voices, she walks around the corner see calum talking to draco malfoy. careful not to be seen, she inches closer to the two boys, hiding behind a large column in the hallway to hear the conversation.

"would you quiet down? elena is just inside." calum whispers.

"you know you can't back out now. we were both chosen, remember?" malfoy says, pointing to calum's wrist.

calum looks down at his wrist, pulling up his sleeve to reveal the newly darkened dark mark. it was no longer just a scar, it was apart of him now.

"cedric was only the beginning. we need your help to overthrow hogwarts all together." malfoy continues.

elena couldn't believe what she was hearing. calum lied to her about being a death eater. he planned all along to sabotage hogwarts. he was working for voldemort. realizing this made elena feel gross. like she had been used.
betrayed.
unloved.

unable to bear hearing any more of their plans, she quickly walks away, going back into the hufflepuff common room. walking swiftly up the stairs and into her room, she collapses onto her bed, hugging the jar close to her chest.

"elena?" alison asks, walking out of the bathroom. "you okay?"

elena tries to reply, but when she opened her mouth, all that came out was a sob. as tears begin to fall, alison sits on the bed and hugs her tightly.

"it's alright," she assures. "dumbledore will keep us safe, and cedric is in a better place now."

"no," elena says, sitting up. she didn't know what she was truly crying about.

"alison, calum is a death eater."

———

🤭 thoughts?

in other news, i rlly love that pic of calum at the top... and any other pic of calum 🤤