4. potions partners

it was the next day.

school continued like normal as the students and teachers waited for the first task of the triwizard tournament to begin. for elena, alison and luke, that meant going to snape's potion class.

the three friends sat at their usual table in the back corner with their cauldrons in front of them.

"as you come in, take out your books and open them to page 294." snape orders, walking swiftly into his classroom.

the room filled up quickly as more students walked in. some from hogwarts, some from durmstrang and a couple from beauxbatons. elena looked around the room for calum, slightly hoping that she would get to see him today. she felt a little disappointed that he wasn't there until the normal group of slytherins came in, calum among them.

elena bit her lip softly, looking him up and down. as he found an empty chair, calum took off his trench coat and rolled up his sleeves. elena could see his prominent arm veins from all the way across the room. she imagined what it would feel like to run her fingers over them, or just touch any part of calum's tanned, toned body.

"elena," luke clears his throat, trying to act nonchalant. "you're staring."

"oh." she says, sighing and flipping to page 294 in her potion-making textbook.

"today you'll be brewing sinking solution, and because the triwizard tournament is suppose to encourage the coming together of schools, you'll be working in partners—" snape explains.

"yes!" a few kids around the room say.

"—that I have already picked for you." the professor finishes.

students groan as they wait for their name to be called out, signaling who they would brew their potion with. elena begins to gather the ingredients for the solution while she waits.

"draco malfoy with hermione granger."

"luke hemmings with pansy parkinson."

elena and alison snap their heads to the left, looking at luke with wide eyes. he already looked frightened. "oh boy." he says, his voice cracking.

"you'll be fine, just do what she says." elena nods.

luke gulps, standing up and walking over to pansy's table.

"you really think he'll be fine?" ali asks, frowning.

"oh no not at all." elena says.

"ashton irwin and alison evans."

alison hears professor snape and furrows her eyebrows together. "who the heck is ashton irwin?"

"that'd be me, love." a curly haired boy says, walking up to the table that ali and elena sat at. he wore a grey sweater vest over a white button up shirt with a scarlet and gold tie tucked between the two. he was quite fit and his smile was very charming.

"shall we get to stirring?" he asks ali, opening his textbook.

"sure," she replies, then leans over to elena. "never have I ever been more grateful for snape."

elena giggles and looks to snape, waiting for her name to be called. there were still lots of unpaired students, but she only wished for one. and that's exactly who she got.

"calum hood and elena carter."

elena looks at calum across the room, smiling slightly. he gets up, bringing his coat and books over to elena's table.

"hi." he smiles at her.

"hi." she breathes out, looking at the boy.

"hi!" ashton joins in.