3. the champion selection

elena, alison and luke sit at the hufflepuff table in the great hall as dumbledore announces the champions that would be competing in the triwizard tournament.

"now the moment you've all been waiting for: the champion selection." he says and raises his hand, dimming the light from the fires hanging around the room. the everyone watches in silence as the goblet of fire turns red and shoots out a piece of parchment paper from it's mouth. dumbledore catches it in the air and reads the name on the card.

"the durmstrang champion is viktor krum!" he says. the room erupts in cheers for krum. the goblet turns red again and produces another piece of parchment which dumbledore snatches from the air.

"the champion from beauxbatons is fleur delacour!" he announces and everyone cheers for her as well. the goblet turns red one more time and dumbledore reads the third champion's name.

"the hogwarts champion, cedric diggory!"

elena, ali and luke clap for cedric who was sitting across the table from them. they watch as he and the other champions make their way to another room to discuss the rules and tasks. dumbledore begins to describe the prize for winning the tournament— the triwizard cup, but just as it is revealed, the goblet burns red once again.

confused faces turn around to watch as a fourth piece of parchment flies from the cup and into dumbledore's hand. "harry potter..." he mutters.

elena looks over at harry to see him staring at dumbledore in disbelief. he didn't even try to stand up and claim his acceptance into the tournament.

"harry potter!" dumbledore yells, looking around the room for harry. hermione pushes him out of his seat. all eyes land on the underage boy who somehow got himself a spot in the competition.

he slowly walks over to the professor and takes the smoking piece of paper from his hand. the entire great hall watches as he walks to the room where the other champions were being held.

"he's a cheat!" they hear from the slytherin table.

"he's not even 17 yet!" another student adds on.

as harry walks past the table for the durmstrang students, elena's eyes fall on the boys dressed in their dark uniforms. she quickly finds the boy she's looking for. he was already looking right at her. calum's stare was intense, but calm at the same time. his eyes looked like they were telling a story, but not a dangerous one. one she wanted to hear.

after dumbledore dismisses everyone back to their houses, elena, alison and luke walk to the hufflepuff common room together. 

"how do you suppose potter managed that?" luke asks.

"i have no idea, but i can't believe he'd break the rules like that!" alison exclaims. "just because he sorta saved everyone at hogwarts from danger before  doesn't make him above the law."

"i don't think he did it." elena tells them as they turn the corner in the corridor.

"of course he didn't do it, the age line was there. but who do you think did it for him?" ali says.

"no, i mean i think someone did do it for him, but harry didn't know about it," elena explains. "he looked so shocked, maybe even a little bit scared when he heard dumbledore call his name."

"whatever happened, i'm just glad it's over. i need a shower." luke says, pulling his sweater vest over his head as the trio comes upon the kitchens.

on the same hall was the dungeons and the entrance to the slytherin common room. just outside of the entrance stood draco malfoy, blaise zabini, pansy parkinson and the newest addition to their group, calum hood. pansy looked like she was enjoying his company, running her hand up and down his arm.
elena was too far away to hear what they were discussing, but she didn't like the looks of it. slytherins and an atticus didn't sound like very good news.