Chapter 13

This is kind of long...

❃Max's POV❃

"Ma?"

"Yes baby?"

"Why we packed suitcases, again?"

I sighed, stuffing some last minute cut up jeans and my favorite hoodie in my suitcase. I know it's November, and it's been warm over here on the West Coast, but it's probably freezing over on the East.

"Your grandfather is in the hospital, so we're going down to D.C. to console the family and see what's up."

"Ma, it's been more than five years since we saw that side of the family..."

"Which is another good reason why we need to go. Did you finish packing?"

Rayan rolled his eyes and sucked his teeth.

"Yeah, I been done...."

"Is Riley done packing? We need to get to the airport in a few minutes."

I still wasn't finished getting ready. I had to take my twists out, wash myself and throw on some clothes.

"Yes ma, he downstairs."

"Well, go down there and y'all put the bags in the car. I need to get ready so I'll be down there soon."

Rayan nodded his head and left my room, his Timberlands stomping down our carpeted staircase. I was just happy he wasn't arguing with me today and I hope this trip will get some sense knocked into him. Just cause he's privileged doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. When I was his age, there was no way I could be doing half the shit he was doing. Even Myles at least waited until he was legal to act a fool.

Anyway, I closed up my suitcase after making sure I had enough clothes for three days, my toiletries, my hair products and pajamas. I set it on the floor, before heading into my bathroom. I removed the head scarf and untied my robe. I moved towards the shower to get the hot water started and quickly got in. I had to wash quickly, cause we were pressed for time I don't like being late. But when I was done, I quickly lotioned up, put on some body spray from Bath & Body Works then put on a white dress shirt with teal pants and white heels to match. I fluffed my twist, so my afro was huge and voluminous.

I know this isn't a happy occasion, but I was in a good mood today.

"Riley, come and get my bag!"

⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜

After a four hour flight and searching for our luggage, we tried haling for a taxi, but before we could my mother called me.

"Hey Mama."

"Why you calling a taxi, I'm here to pick you up."

I looked around the pick up and drop off zone, trying to spot her.

"Where you at, I don't see you."

"I'm flashing my lights now."

I looked and saw a grey Mazda 3 just a few feet away from us. I quickly hung up as my mother got out the car. Both Rayan and Riley went to hung her first. I could tell she wasn't the only person happy to be here.

"Oh, look at my boys! Both of y'all have gotten so big!" She smiled, as Rayan and Riley tried to talk at the same time.

"Hey Mama!"

We briefly hugged, while my sons put the bags in the back of the car.

"It's so good to see you Mama, and I see you got yaself a new ride."